wanted - biscuit jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would not

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm after a biscuit jointer. Can't afford a new Dewalt etc so I wonder if any of you guys have a good condition good make one you have laying around because you're rich and have bought a domino cutter.

I have a Wickes biscuit jointer that I find quite good. The only thing I did was change to a 4mm blade from the supplied 3.5mm one as my biscuits were all 4mm.

It's about £45

Mick

I have a Trend that you could have for £75 inc postage (normally retails for about £145). It's not been used very much, so is in pristine condition. I'll post pics if you're interested.

Cheers

Aled

You must be psychic :D

I have just bought a Domino, and my Elu DS 140K is currently listed on Fleabay...

Just thought I'd mention it in passing..... :wink:

Cheerio....

Mike.

Almost two-years ago, I bought a second-hand Makita (six-months old) off eBay for £130 and it's been fantastic. With an increasing number of woodworkers 'upgrading' to Festool Domino jointers :wink:, it's got to be worth a look on that auction site. :)

I once owned a £30 jointer from Screwfix. You could lock the fence off and it would move and the blade wasn't parallel with it either.

Mr Mike":1p5v2yjv said:
You must be psychic :D

I have just bought a Domino, and my Elu DS 140K is currently listed on Fleabay...

Just thought I'd mention it in passing..... :wink:

Cheerio....

Mike.
Surely biscuits best for carcase making and other box's.

Well, I'm not going to go into the pros and cons for dominos compared to biscuits, whilst I'm currently trying to sell my biccy jointer....:lol: .

The biscuit jointer is great and has served me well, but the dominos allow me to work quickly in thinner and small sectioned timber and materials. The fact that Dominos don't swell up (as biscuits are supposed to) is a plus point when working in MDF in my opinion.

The swing down biscuit jointer as mine is, is also great from grooving, for example when making a rebate for carcass backs or drawer bottoms for example....or even when converting 8ft sheets when run along against a guide. You can't do that with a domino.... :wink:

Mr Mike":2ckmtq54 said:
The swing down biscuit jointer as mine is, is also great .... even when converting 8ft sheets when run along against a guide. You can't do that with a domino.... :wink:

Now that's not something I can say I've tried with a biscuit joiner!!

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":3dxgcjqs said:
Mr Mike":3dxgcjqs said:
The swing down biscuit jointer as mine is, is also great .... even when converting 8ft sheets when run along against a guide. You can't do that with a domino.... :wink:

Now that's not something I can say I've tried with a biscuit joiner!!

Cheers

Gidon
Thats because you don't have an Elu like Mike and I.

I would like a Domino,but think it not as quick as a biscuit,when just using for aligning.

Aled - The jointer arrived today, just a little oil on the slide and I was away.
Cheers, well worth every penny.

Ian

Ah yes, but the Domino can make tea, turn water into wine and lead into gold........ well it should do for the price. :lol:

All I can say is, I hope the Domino doesn't affect the sale of biscuit jointers to the point where no one is bothering to make biscuits.

It's much easier to make the biscuits for a Domino, than to make some for a Biscuit Jointer. If that ever happens, we will have to buy Dominos if we want to use this way of jointing bits of wood into frames.
8)

John

I reckon Domino machines will have to drop to a sensible price and have some competing makes before there is any chance of seeing the end of biscuits.

Bob

9fingers":2he98zdp said:
I reckon Domino machines will have to drop to a sensible price and have some competing makes before there is any chance of seeing the end of biscuits.

Bob

I think festool have patented the domino mechanism so competitors cant make them - therefore people like dewalt, makita etc are always going to be making biscuits for their biscuit jointers.

I have to buy some biscuits anyhow, so I better make it a fairly substantial order.

Festool, with no competition, won't feel compelled to reduce prices. This made me wonder if it would be possible to miniaturise the principle of a chain morticer, to make a different type of hand-held morticing machine?

Although of course, the chain-mortice principle itself might be patented.

John :)

I need to make three biscuit joints to repair a kitchen shelf (don't ask) and I was wondering if I can use my 1/4" Elu router for the job. Does anyone know if there is a suitable router bit available. I guess the biscuit is about 4mm and the board is 20mm.

I don't want to buy a cheapo biscuit jointer and can't justify the price of a decent one for a one off job.

Cheers

Steve

Yes Steve you can. You will need an appropriate sized slot cutter, that's all.
Router table is the easiest and safest IMHO.

The other alternative is to mill a groove in each piece, and put in a plywood tongue.
Yes?

HTH
John

Benchwayze":3og7kgcw said:
Yes Steve you can. You will need an appropriate sized slot cutter, that's all.
Router table is the easiest and safest IMHO.

The other alternative is to mill a groove in each piece, and put in a plywood tongue.
Yes?

HTH
John

Thanks John

Just ordered a cutter and biscuit set from Axminster. Let's see if I make a pigs ear of it!

Steve

Steve,

I'm not sure exactly how your shelf is broken, but if it's split along it's length then my second alternative would have worked I think, and all you would have needed was an appropriate straight bit, the fence on your router, and a strip of plywood offcut. You could have milled the slot, in each piece, glued in the tongue and clamped up.

But look at it this way. You now have the means of biscuiting, without the expense of a proper jointer that will eventually be superceded by the Domino. What you saved on that will go towards a Domino! 8)
Hope the job goes ok.

John :lol:

Back