Wadkin SP12

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azz22

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all
I have bought a wadkin sp12 which is in need of a good clean up and I am also converting to single phase
any advice on motor size 3hp or 4hp
the standard 3 phase is 3hp but wadkin also offered a 5.5hp motor

so should i stick with 3hp or go up a bit to 4hp any advice pros/cons would be much appreciated
would i need to alter my electrics at home?
thanks Mark

I'm no expert at all, but I would be astonished if you can run a 4 or 5 HP single phase motor off a normal domestic supply.

Not sure if it helps but I run a Sedgwick TA 315 saw which is 4hp and a 3hp extractor single phase on my domestic supply.The saw has a20 amp dedicated supply through 4mm cable and both run fine without tripping fuses or making light dim or any other adverse effects,I would go for a 4hp motor and get your installation checked by a qualified electrician,this is what I did.Regards Kevin.

thanks for the quick replies
was going to use an inverter but didn't think original motor was suitable 415v only????

I have a 10mm cable running from house to garage to small consumer unit

Check the frame size to see what will fit. I personally would fit a 3KW single phase motor if I were looking to change the motor / move to single phase. That would provide c1Hp per inch of cut.

but the saw can use a 300mm blade if scoring blade removed and will then cut 4"
would the saw cut 4" with a 3hp motor ok when 300mm blade fitted it would just be good to have the option of the extra cut depth

azz22":i28nx3c0 said:
was going to use an inverter but didn't think original motor was suitable 415v only????

You can now get inverters from china that take 240v single phase in and produce 415v 3 phase out

I've purchased about 4 of these this year and they seem very good.

kevinlightfoot":2xlra9yp said:
I think you wil find a 3 kw motor is 4 up and that will be plenty of power to give you maximum cut.

if i decide on the smaller motor the 2.2kw 3hp would it be able to cut 4"

Myfordman":1bxtoq4h said:
azz22":1bxtoq4h said:

You can now get inverters from china that take 240v single phase in and produce 415v 3 phase out

I've purchased about 4 of these this year and they seem very good.

so you don't need to have a 240v/415v motor and wire it as Delta ?

No these inverters will run 415v star motors from 240 single phase. These are relatively new to the market and open up another useful option.

well that's good to know as I also bought a wadkin C6 bandsaw which is also just 415v 3 phase so I might go the inverter way with that on
do you have any links to these type of inverter

I think the inverters you are talking about are expensive .I bought one to run my Dominion morticer which is only 1 hp and it cost 425 pounds.Direct Drives was the company I used in Kirkby in Ashfield,you could give them a call.The wiring was simplicity itself,just three wires but as I say for bigger motors it would be expensive.

kevinlightfoot":ue1wt0ui said:
I think the inverters you are talking about are expensive .I bought one to run my Dominion morticer which is only 1 hp and it cost 425 pounds.Direct Drives was the company I used in Kirkby in Ashfield,you could give them a call.The wiring was simplicity itself,just three wires but as I say for bigger motors it would be expensive.

No these are not the Drives Direct ones, Dave is modifying these himself which is what I used to do.
Now I import these as produced for the job direct from China far cheaper.

“Myfordman” do you have a make and model of these inverters and website to buy from?

Latest posts

Back