Wadkin radial arm saw - is this any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you plan to have several three phase machines, then a rotary converter rated a little higher than the biggest machine you plan to own. This assumes that you will only run one machine at a time.

You will need a good high capacity single phase feed to your workshop fitted with a type c breaker. This type is more tolerant of high starting loads found with motors.

You might find the document referred in the footer of this message of interest.

DC brakes are quite expensive mainly because they are a compulsory requirement in a trading workshop. However they are not mandated in a home workshop. There should be no reason why these will not work in combination with a rotary converter. It is possible they might object to a static converter - I've done most things with motors and converters but not that combination.

You might find that an inverter for each machine which will have inbuilt electronic braking will overall give a better solution. They are also more tolerant of lower capacity power supplies (no need for type c breakers either) but get expensive and rare for more than 4kW (5ish horsepower).

hth

Bob

I think I might have to up the supply to the workshop then as it is only a double garage. What about a 3 phase supply or is that a lot of money to out lay?

I bought the Radial arm, and with some work it was fine.

Alas - i was the offered 1500£ for it, so i decided to sell it. I know - i am a sell-out in the truest sence of the word. But i'm not a professional wood worker, and bying equipment is very dear, and money is an issue.
So i figured that with the 1200£ profit i could get a decent used band saw, and a good compund mitre, and still have some money left for some clamps etc.

Further more - i don't even have a proper workshop yet. As my First serious woodworking project, i have build a 90 m2 garage/workshop. 35m2 insulated for the workshop, and the last 55m2 for the cars.
I have build it alone, so it's taken me a little over a year so far, but within a month i should be ready to have all the tools moved in. I'l l be happy to post some pictures if anybody is interested.

When i got the RAS home, it was just a little bigger than i though, and with only 35m2 space, i found that the space could be utilized better without the RAS.

Three phase at home in UK is expensive to install, attracts a higher standing charge and usually has a smaller range of tariffs available.
In most of Europe is is standard in the home.
Bob

Back