Wadkin BAOS 12" planer... rollers arent great

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjf

Reaction score
Hello people,

So I'm at a loose end, Ive been using my neighbours Wadkin BAOS 12" planer thicknesser for a few years now and its always been a nightmare to thickness on, recently it moved into my workshop fulltime as he's semi retired, its been serviced within the last year but the feed on the thicknesser is awful, I am literally forcing the boards through by hand and its not long before I get a hernia... its awful. The engineer that serviced it suggested that one roller is worn but its not critical to replace it... so i guess I pleading for any help, has anyone else had any issues with these machines? Im looking for another planer as if I were to buy a new roller I'd be looking at £500 and then to buy the machine on top would mean the planer would cost more than its worth... any quick fixes? any ideas would be appreciated.

My thanks in advance.

J

Just a thought but could you swop the rollers over. Top to bottom....or is it the other way round. Best wishes.

Ok... So I thought I would update this situation as Ive found a solution!

The engineer said the main infeed roller was worn and it might need replacing, so today i took the machine to bits, both feed tables off and the cutter, I removed the worn roller and it got me thinking why would you need to replace the worn roller as theres alot of metal still in the roller, its just that the grips had worn down... so I got a file out and the dremmel, I ran the file down the grooves of the roller and then tapped the worn sections with dremmel to replace the worn grooves, the roller in question sits on two spacers/washers that determine the height that the roller runs at and since the roller is smaller i just milled them down by 0.25 - 0.5mm.

If anyone has this problem in the future and gets stuck then message me and I'll help.

Cheers for the prompt reply two thumbs.

J

Latest posts

Back