Veritas Honing Guide Gone Awry - Resolved

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never handled one of these type guides let alone used one, is there any chance that the roller bore/eccentric spindle is wearing due to grit contamination? After cleaning assembly can you feel any play between the two, more one side than the other?

CHJ":2aaoc0b1 said:
Never handled one of these type guides let alone used one, is there any chance that the roller bore/eccentric spindle is wearing due to grit contamination? After cleaning assembly can you feel any play between the two, more one side than the other?

There is play in the roller but it doesn’t feel more so on one side than the other. It does make sense that the roller would be the problem though with the amount of contact it has with grit/abrasive.

I had the same issue on mine Bart. I'm very right handed if that makes sense so I was hyper aware of exerting equal pressure and im not altogether cack handed. In the end I emailed veritas explained the issue and my tried solutions ie: equal pressure etc etc. They replaced the wheel with no hesitations. Problem sorted. Fair play to them as a company. UK shouldn't pose any issue.
Cheers
Chris

Bm101":1p0mkjmp said:
I had the same issue on mine Bart. I'm very right handed if that makes sense so I was hyper aware of exerting equal pressure and im not altogether cack handed. In the end I emailed veritas explained the issue and my tried solutions ie: equal pressure etc etc. They replaced the wheel with no hesitations. Problem sorted. Fair play to them as a company. UK shouldn't pose any issue.
Cheers
Chris

That’s good to know cheers Chris. Seems to be a common fault...

I haven't noticed any issues with mine, apart from it occasionally letting an iron slip a little if its not done up very tight - I've been thinking of putting some thin rubber on one of the surfaces to add a little friction. I've got a couple of mates who bring their kit round for me to sharpen now - pro edge and diamond stones can sort out the worst a builder can throw at them! :lol:

Also, thanks for this not turning into a sharpening argument!

TFrench":16zbdfxi said:
I haven't noticed any issues with mine, apart from it occasionally letting an iron slip a little if its not done up very tight - I've been thinking of putting some thin rubber on one of the surfaces to add a little friction. I've got a couple of mates who bring their kit round for me to sharpen now - pro edge and diamond stones can sort out the worst a builder can throw at them! :lol:

Also, thanks for this not turning into a sharpening argument!

Yebutt, I think you should try it without a guide.

Kind regards,

The Free Hand Master Race.

Seriously though, it takes the square root of pipper all to throw something out on a repeated process..just come and see me facing and edging by hand :lol:

Clean the bearing surfaces and get it the best you can(pressure one side or the other and all that bobbins), turn your diamond plates 'round then crack on. Edit: I typed something that might have been provocative to sharpening gurus, but deleted it in the best interests of everyone having a very happy new year.

El Barto":qfraegx9 said:
I've been using the Veritas Honing Guide for about a year and have been happy with it but recently I've noticed that my irons are slowly going out of square.
It's very difficult to debug a process that is so slow. It should be much easier to diagnose if you can speed it up.

I would try something like 80 grit SiC paper on glass as your abrasive, and either 3mm birch ply, or mild steel sheet as the "blade".

This will abrade MUCH quicker than a hardened steel blade on a fine stone, and should make what's going on more obvious.

BugBear

With any process, piece of equipment, system or circuit that is not working as expected no amount of theory or expounding of pet theories is going to solve it.

Until some accurate measurements of components * and Simple tests designed to replicate the problem are done then it is unlikely to get sorted.

*Has the roller assembly worn for instance or the jig frame distorted a few thou. due to tightening forces etc.

TFrench":3s6cfz5i said:
....I've been thinking of putting some thin rubber on one of the surfaces to add a little friction. .....

I would suggest you bond a thin sheet of paper backed wet & dry to one surface rather than rubber, will maintain clamping geometry better.

Thought I’d post a quick update: the roller was the problem. New one arrived today from Fine Tools and the honing guide is back to working as it should.

El Barto":1l2lshp1 said:
Thought I’d post a quick update: the roller was the problem. New one arrived today from Fine Tools and the honing guide is back to working as it should.
Was it worn, or made wrong in the first place?

(I would find either surprising, and am curious)

BugBear

MattRoberts":31xdiebo said:
Excellent. I'll be sending my chisels and irons to you in the post to verify.

Ha ha that seems only fair

bugbear":31xdiebo said:
Was it worn, or made wrong in the first place?

(I would find either surprising, and am curious)

BugBear

I'm not sure actually. It worked fine when I bought it so it must have worn unevenly, although by eye it's hard to tell.

Back