Veneering sideboard/desk.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom61

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello to all!
It's been a while since my last post, but unfortunately I had a stroke 2 weeks after. This has left me numb and stiff down my left side, which has put the brakes on my restoration work.
I mentioned before the wife had bought another sideboard and a bureau, which I was keen to get on with. However, I'm not able to go through the process again of stripping everything back to bare wood, and the wife's moaning she's sick of looking at them in that state. To be honest, the sideboard isn't oak, which was a mistake on my part.
I've come up with a plan...
I'm thinking of veneering them both. I reckon I could just about manage that.
What could go wrong?
Both items seem to be done with a varnish. My idea is to sand the surface to give a key and glue the veneer on?
Will it work as easy as that do you reckon?
Failing that, it's back to the charity shop with them.
Thanks.
Tom.

Sorry to hear that Tom, two recommendations,

1. Skip the attempted veneering stage and send the sideboard straight to the charity shop. You need to focus on much smaller projects.

2. Tell the missus if she doesn't brighten up she'll be following the sideboard.

Good luck!

If you take option 2, I wouldn't suggest telling her you'll be focusing on 'smaller projects'. Women seem to take offence at things like that for some reason

You're both probably right.
Looks like a sideboard, bureau and would-be finisher all headed for the scrapheap of life.
Can't go back, can't go back... (Brian Potter. Phoenix Nights.)
Thanks.
Tom

Tom61":2a930g74 said:
You're both probably right.
Looks like a sideboard, bureau and would-be finisher all headed for the scrapheap of life.
Can't go back, can't go back... (Brian Potter. Phoenix Nights.)
Thanks.
Tom

Have you got any pictures of the desk? Someone might be able to suggest a way it could be salvaged perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about the health woes Tom. Small, easy and quick projects to start with mate....take it slow.

Custards first suggestion is spot on, veneering takes practice, skill and the right tools. Not quite so sure about the second...maybe think about that one ;)

Latest posts

Back