Vacuum clamping bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertheeater

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all.
I have a trend U-MACH-KIT. It is essentially a kit to which you apply the components to your own MDF SLAB. Then connect to an extractor. Your workpiece is then held in place through vacuum pressure.
I'm sure i read somewhere that it can be used with a vacuum pump but can't find that in the literature at the moment. My questions is, do I need to add some sort of inline filter to stup dust etc entering the vacuum pump. My pump has red 8mm (o/d) tubing. If so anyone got any idea where I could source such a filter. Alternatively if the dust issue can't be resolved. Would it be okay to use the vacuum pump for clean work, I.e. Holding work while edging etc.
two reasons for wanting to use vacuum pump over extractor are; noise and I would like to use the extractor with a tool whilst holding work with vacuum pump.
Many thanks for any input.

I've got the Mini-mach, and it's hopeless with a shop vac, even though it claims to work with one, so if you can use a vacuum pump, I'd strongly recommend it. Presumably IN THEORY, if the workpiece is properly gripped by the ports, then no dust can get into the system. But seems unlikely you'd get such a good seal in practice.

Oh, yes, and if anyone wants to stop the Mini-mach taking up space in the workshop, contact me :D

I realise now my version is just the kit version of the Trend Mini Mach.
Hooked it all up today to both the extractor and the vacuum pump. I must say i'm pretty impressed with the results from both. It holds veneered, melamine and normal MDF very well. I also tried it with some planed up oak and was equally happy with the result. My initial use is going to be for holding boards as I edge them and for routing all the way around perimeters of boards. I was happy enough with the performance to have bought another kit on flea bay which I will experiment with , perhaps change the orientaion of the clamp, or maybe split it to make two for longer boards. Sometimes normal clamps just seem to get in the way.
Dick M perhaps you need to dust yours off and give it another go making sure all the tape seals etc. are in place.
Thanks
Peter

Back