using a trim style router for tongue and groove joints

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomP

Established Member
Reaction score
Im going to make some flat panel shaker style doors,

however i don't have a router table, I'm not sure whether my Bosch trim style router would be powerful enough to do this.
or would a router table be the only real safe option for making this type of cut.

I was thinking of making them the Peter Millard way someone suggested on here.

Any advice appreciated

Although I mostly post in the hand tools section I do have a little Bosch 1/4" router which is similar to a trim router.

I've used it for making simple doors with plywood set in grooves.
Rather than use a plain 4mm or 6mm cutter, I bought a slotting bit. This is a circular disc with three carbide cutters in it, like a mini circular saw. It has an arbor with a bearing to control the depth. The slot is cut at 90° to the axis of the router motor.

I found this much better for cutting long slots using the router hand held as the base of the router rests on the wide surface of the rails or stiles. I bought mine from Axminster. I can't see one on a quick search but someone else will know where to get one.

I made plenty of MDF doors with a 1/4" Trend T3 router and a grooving bit, albeit slung under a bench. I'd be a bit leery of using a grooving bit freehand though, especially with a small router, as they can be a bit 'tippy' . If possible, look at options for mounting it in a piece of e.g. MDF clamped to a workmate as this will give you a lot more control.

HTH Pete

Latest posts

Back