Urgent help!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mar_mite

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all.
My 1960s Sedgwick saw is broken! I'm right in the middle of making a front door and it couldn't have broken down at a worse time.
All was fine, then I pushed the start button and got like a false start, a jog I think it's called. Then went to push the button again and the button was immobile. I assumed it had overloaded so stripped the starter to look for a reset. Nothing. Does anybody know what has happened. I cannot see what's happened to stop the button being pushed in. There is a small button inside the casing which manually starts the saw, but it stops when you let it go. So I assume the problem is with the starter.
The saw turns freely.

Help me!

If you can't get it going I have an Axi AW10BSB2 you are welcome to use. It doesn't have the side extentions. Don't know where you are in Surrey but I'm 1 1/4hr from Heathrow.

John

John15":145suj4e said:
If you can't get it going I have an Axi AW10BSB2 you are welcome to use. It doesn't have the side extentions. Don't know where you are in Surrey but I'm 1 1/4hr from Heathrow.

John
That's extremely good of you John. My workshop is In Wandsworth. Bit of a trek. But using someone else's saw might work. There are a couple of joinery workshops quite near to me.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 203
Mar_mite":1trt388y said:
Morning all.
My 1960s Sedgwick saw is broken! I'm right in the middle of making a front door and it couldn't have broken down at a worse time.
All was fine, then I pushed the start button and got like a false start, a jog I think it's called. Then went to push the button again and the button was immobile. I assumed it had overloaded so stripped the starter to look for a reset. Nothing. Does anybody know what has happened. I cannot see what's happened to stop the button being pushed in. There is a small button inside the casing which manually starts the saw, but it stops when you let it go. So I assume the problem is with the starter.
The saw turns freely.

Help me!

Having looked at the picture you posted of the inside of the switch, which "button" are you pressing?
Small black square = direct push to make contacts, if all ok should keep running.
Black bar on right hand side top = electrical contacts, press to energise coil, once coil is energised, main contacts stay closed, bar lifts,resets starter circuit.
White button = stop.

Most likely fault, loose wire, or burnt out coil. Coils in these starters are replacable. (Very fiddlely, till your've done a few!)

Bod

The small button does make the motor run, it stops as soon as its released. The long black square button is what the green on button should push in when the casing is on. I've ordered a whole new DOL starter. Come in tomorrow. I have some other work to busy myself with till it comes. Thanks for the advice. When something like this happens it just feels like a massive disaster.

Back