Under floor ducting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recky33

Established Member
Reaction score
My workshop is 12 feet square and stands in 12 pillars about 16 inches above ground level, so there is a reasonable crawl space underneath, Well my 23 yo son can do it, My chip extractor is in a small lean to next to it, I was thinking about running my ducting under the floor and up to whatever machine as needed, I have no intention of getting hold of any new machinery so things will be staying where they are, This should give considerably more room inside as i'm using 150mm ducting.

So... to my main concern, What do I do if theres a blockage, is it a matter of getting underneath or is there a better way

Allan

Recky33":3g879wfa said:
So... to my main concern, What do I do if theres a blockage, is it a matter of getting underneath or is there a better way

Allan

Drain rods would be too heavy - but the thin fibreglass ones that electricians use might work.

I guess if you had a blockage you could run a pipe from an outlet back to the machine an see if you could pull it back the way it came. Thats what a lot of vacuum type things have these days to unblock, a reverse setting.

If your shop is heated at all, you might want to bring the exhaust air (post filter) back into the workshop both to retain heat and to assist the airflow from the machines.

Bob

A couple of thoughts:

1) depending on your set up, do you need 150mm ducting? This seems very large unless you have a multi person workshop or serious profiling / thicknessing kit. 100mm would give you much higher air velocity which may be less prone to block.

2) Fix in the event of a block - could you make up a plug for the inlet end of the pipe to couple your compressed air supply to the extract system?

My thoughts anyway.

S

Hmmm, I like the idea of a reverse setting, got loads of flexi that could do that, nice one Chems

Shop is unheated atm, just finished insulating the place and its nice and toasty in there

svb, At the moment i'm running a very very old scheppach which is making loads of noise and is struggling, i'm about to order an ADE2200 which does 2,200m³/hr but only does this at 150 mm, at 100 mm its a lot less, just seems pointless to not let it do what its capable of doing, plus my thicknesser will love it,
Dont think my little compressor could even fill the pipe never mind move anything in there, good idea tho :)

cheers chaps

Allan

Recky33":2l2kzof0 said:
...ADE2200 which does 2,200m³/hr but only does this at 150 mm, at 100 mm its a lot less...
Hi Allan

Where did you getthis information from? I have this extractor and can't find anywhere on the Axi site or in the manual for the extractor that it doesn't give full suck on the 100mm ports!

I am considering the same as you, running ducting under a false floor from this extractor so if I need to be running in 150mm to get the best out of it I would be very interested to know.

FYI I currently have my P/T, B/S and T/S connected up at 100mm and get almost no dust escaping so I wouldn't get too hung up about it unless there is a massive advantage to be had.

HTH

Recky33":20ck0tio said:
Shop is unheated atm, just finished insulating the place and its nice and toasty in there

cheers chaps

Allan

Unless you have the door/window open then the suction is going to be starved of air. One solution to this is to return the extracted air to the workshop to keep it 'toasty'

Bob

"9fingers" One solution to this is to return the extracted air to the workshop to keep it 'toasty'

Bob

At the risk of stating the obvious, if you plan to do this then you would also need to spec the 1 micron filter bag / cartridge else you will return the fine dust back to the workshop which defeats the point.

Mark. Its a "wish Id bookmarked that page " moment, It wasn't about the ADE2200, but if an extractor offers a 150 mm port then its from this they will be measuring from, if I can find it again I will post it, I phoned Axminster to check and they said theres not going to be much difference, but in the one I found there was a 500 m³/hr drop just by going down to 100 mm, Axminster say its 50 m³/hr.

Bob, Iv got sliding floor vents to let air in if needed

Allan

Latest posts

Back