Ugly mitre plane!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not the prettiest I must admit but how well does it work? That's surely the major consideration with any tool.

woodbrains":1ecnecm0 said:
Hello,

Just came across this on WH website. I though the QS router was ugly, but this is worse.

https://www.workshopheaven.com/quangshe ... plane.html

What is going on?

Mike.

I'd say ease of manufacturing is going on. It's not really an infill, it's a metal plane with wood stuffed into it. Infills generally have the iron bedded on wood. And it is definitely ugly.

I guess it's only a matter of time before it shows up at woodcraft over here for a much higher price than that.

RogerP":3n31s44s said:
Not the prettiest I must admit but how well does it work? That's surely the major consideration with any tool.

Hello,

I'm sure it works extremely well, but infills are generally more beautiful than other planes, often the only reason having them over more pedestrian offerings. This defeats it's purpose on that score.

Mike.

I saw one of these in the flesh last weekend and my eyes vomited. I actually had a chat with another forum member about how offensive it was to look at but apologies as I can't remember who it was. Richard's does are so good and so well attended it's hard to remember!

memzey":2437wu4y said:
I saw one of these in the flesh last weekend and my eyes vomited. I actually had a chat with another forum member about how offensive it was to look at but apologies as I can't remember who it was. Richard's does are so good and so well attended it's hard to remember!

Twas I sirrah, twas I; but it's not THE WORST plane I've ever seen, this has all the manner of a childs toy:

https://www.dictum.com/en/tools/woodwor ... 97_1_12_12

AJB Temple":1m97zmav said:
I don't think it looks all that ugly!

Nor do I. It's very different from a 19th century plane, but that's not really surprising. From a quick look at one at Richard Arnold's do, it's well made and finished. It also seemed comfortable to use, with rounded ends a bit like those found on some German smoothers.
The thing that did strike me as discordant was the very prominent trade marking. This is on the wood, presumably laser engraved and is something I'm just not used to seeing. It would be better if it was smaller and tucked away.

Handsome is as handsome does! If it does what it's supposed to effectively, and it's comfortable to use, do its looks really matter that much? After all, it's a tool, not a film star!

Hello,
Cheshirechappie":12fxtoyb said:
Handsome is as handsome does! If it does what it's supposed to effectively, and it's comfortable to use, do its looks really matter that much? After all, it's a tool, not a film star!

ENGINEER!!

Mike.

I don't think the plane is ugly, however I do think it is poorly designed. It is intended as a mitre plane. It would be uncomfortable to hold on a shooting board, and as a single iron plane it has limited use on interlocked grain. I imagine that its place is on a mitre jack. There it should be OK.

Regards from Perth

Derek

woodbrains":lbglva0o said:
Hello,
Cheshirechappie":lbglva0o said:

ENGINEER!!

Mike.

Guilty as charged - and proud of it! :D

I don't think the plane is ugly, however I do think it is poorly designed. It is intended as a mitre plane. It would be uncomfortable to hold on a shooting board, and as a single iron plane it has limited use on interlocked grain. I imagine that its place is on a mitre jack. There it should be OK.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well, strictly speaking, a mitre plane is not intended to be used on a shooting board. With a mitre jack, certainly - but not for shooting. The fact that many mitre planes ARE used for shooting is down to the versatility of their individual designs - it's a bonus rather than the original intent, I think.

rafezetter":1oufaguc said:
memzey":1oufaguc said:
Twas I sirrah, twas I; but it's not THE WORST plane I've ever seen, this has all the manner of a childs toy:

https://www.dictum.com/en/tools/woodwor ... 97_1_12_12

Raf, pretty sure I read somewhere though I can't remember where (I do recall seeing the old advert, not sure why it stuck with me), the Stanley 101 was originally released as a toy and they had to do some hasty re-marketing when it quickly became a big seller among big people. :wink:

Regards from Perth

Derek

You're spot on with that Derek, Richard was talking to another person at the do who had said the same thing, and that even adding a hotdog handle wouldn't improve it for that purpose as there's almost no space for your fingers.

Bm101 - well that might explain the shape and simplistic design of it, but I guess it must work as required if the design is unchanged.

Back