types of walnut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Custard, I found another source of "exotic" wood, at the far end of a big warehouse filled with construction timber and boards, right in the middle of an industrial area.
All planks / boards of varying depths and widths. He had to use a BIG forklift to remove three pallets just so I could get to it.

From the limited conversation we had (I never did get to grips with Greek) its been there a while and no one buys it anymore.
Must have been a 1000 board feet of the walnut in 2.5 metre lengths. I was quite surprised he was so helpful as I only wanted the one plank.

He pointed to another large pallet load 16 feet up in the air and we had one of those surreal conversations of charades, where he didnt know the english word and I couldnt guess what "tree with small round fruit" was. I'm so clueless I could only come up with raisin, which my wife later told me are actually grapes. Who knew?
Luckily he finally remembered that it was cherry.
I can see a cherry and walnut box in my near future.

I dont know what UK prices are but for a 2.4 metre long x 22cm wide x 2.5cm deep board he charged me 24 euro (£21.56p at todays exchange)

I hadn't seen that Wiki entry, and I only wish I could remember where I read about it. From what I read it wasn't just the species, but that the only part of the tree sold as "Claro" is the piece of the bole spanning the graft - it is the graft that makes the interesting grain. There was debate iirc as whether the rootstock was hindsii or californica (or both). The graft part ties up - every picture I've seen has the wildness of grain that yours has, but some have a little more colour difference and a more noticeable demarcation line between the two parts, some to the point of being almost gaudy - and also that the English walnut are grafted on a huge scale as the USA is the world's third largest walnut producer.
Unfortunately I seem to remember reading it as an interesting link from another from another, so am unlikely ever to come across it again. Maybe one of our American friends have some knowledge? - I must admit, I've never had reason to distrust Wiki - but what I read makes as much sense to me.

Strangely, the book which I referred - which lists hundreds of N. A. trees - doesn't list hindsii. The wood database lists it as hindsii.
Looking a bit further, it is sold as whole trees - which disproves my theory ... but another site specifies it as a regia x nigra. Whatever - it's a bit of a minefield I'm not going to lose any sleep over :? - it's extremely beautiful but unfortunately I'm unlikely ever to use any.

Custard,
is my cubic maths right or wrong?

240cm x 25cm x 2.5cm + 15000 cubic cm.
So my price is £21.56 for 15000ccm, making 0.14 pence per cubic centimetre.

A foot is 30cm, so a cubic foot is 30 x 30 x 30 =27000 cubic cm.
So your price is £80 for 27000ccm, making that 0.29 pence per ccm.

I think I paid half price for it?
whoo hoo! A bargain.
Now I need beer.

phil.p":hh3q6jic said:
I hadn't seen that Wiki entry, and I only wish I could remember where I read about it. From what I read it wasn't just the species, but that the only part of the tree sold as "Claro" is the piece of the bole spanning the graft - it is the graft that makes the interesting grain. There was debate iirc as whether the rootstock was hindsii or californica (or both). The graft part ties up - every picture I've seen has the wildness of grain that yours has, but some have a little more colour difference and a more noticeable demarcation line between the two parts, some to the point of being almost gaudy - and also that the English walnut are grafted on a huge scale as the USA is the world's third largest walnut producer.
Unfortunately I seem to remember reading it as an interesting link from another from another, so am unlikely ever to come across it again. Maybe one of our American friends have some knowledge? - I must admit, I've never had reason to distrust Wiki - but what I read makes as much sense to me.

Taylor guitars was calling this grafted timber grafted walnut .
It does not look like the claro walnut that Custard has ..as you can see in at 1.10 seconds into this video....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrkURFcnGDs

Thanks to Custard I have now a better idea , on which walnut species I've salvaged .
I've got some off cuts from flooring ,its only 3 or 4mm veneer laminated to ply ,some with plenty of
striking sapwood ... Judging from Custards pics it looks like unsteamed ABW as its browner .
Sorry no pics as there is STILL furniture beetles in my place so anything edible will have to stay with the folks .
Thanks folks

custard":358xvpnf said:
phil.p":358xvpnf said:
:lol: Who's to be the first to post pictures of Claro Walnut, then?

Left to right, rippled unsteamed ABW, unsteamed ABW, rippled English Walnut, rippled Claro Walnut.

Here's a close up of the Claro Walnut board,

It's pretty good stuff and I don't have all that much, so those boards will be waiting for an extra special project to come along!

There's some lovely bits of timber there, I've seen some exquisite bits of Claro on shotguns with grain that shimmers and moves when looked at at different angles.

Have also come across a variety called Bastogne which I think is a cross between Claro and English types......dom

Back