Twist pen problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverbirch

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Having had a longish lay off from turning, I`m hoping to get started again soon.
I`ve only been a very occasional pen turner, one of the things putting me off being my lack of success with twist pens. They have invariably ended up with the nib slowly disappearing back up the barrel when writing pressure is applied. Any tips on how to overcome this?
Three possibilities occured to me.
a. Perhaps I have used low quality mechanisms.
b. This always happens to twist pens sooner or later (but surely they should hold up for a reasonable length of time?)
c. I have been doing something wrong during the assembly process.

Any tips/suggestions welcome, including reliable brands or alternative, not too expensive types.

Ian

Possibly C I made a twist pen along time ago and have had no problems with it. Also have had no one complain about any I have either sold or given away.

When twisting to use the pen you should feel a very slight bump/click call it what you like when the nib is fully extended this locks it in place and should stop it retracting. You could be pushing the mechanism in too far.

Perhaps I have been pushing the mechanism in too far, although I have tried to follow the instructions as best I could.
Thanks

Ian

I cant say that I have ever encountered a similar problem and have used a variety of suppliers/ qualities from ebay to Timberbits to TR , TW and Axminster.
Where do your pen kits come from - maybe someone uses the same ones?

Edit: I dont think that it will be down to putting the twist mechanism in too far or not far enough as that only determines how much that the nib protrudes from the end.

Nev,
Unfortunately, it was about this time last year since I turned any pens, and I can`t quite remember where I purchased the kits - probably Axminster or Turners Retreat, but it wouldn`t have been from unknown suppliers on Ebay etc.
It had crossed my mind to turn a few as stocking fillers for Christmas, until I remembered having this problem last time I tried.

Ian

The only way I can think of the nib receding in use is if it was not opened fully before writing i.e. twisted past the cam (for want of a better word).
So a possibility that you may not have opened it past the cam either because of not applying enough twist pressure for fear of damage or the twist mech turning in the lower tube when the cam is reached instead of it going over cam? Both cases resulting in the non locking of the nib?

nev":wbwav0zc said:
The only way I can think of the nib receding in use is if it was not opened fully before writing i.e. twisted past the cam (for want of a better word).
So a possibility that you may not have opened it past the cam either because of not applying enough twist pressure for fear of damage or the twist mech turning in the lower tube when the cam is reached instead of it going over cam? Both cases resulting in the non locking of the nib?

That is what I tried to describe in my post when I used the words "bump/click", and the comment about pushing the mechanism in to far refers to the cartridge grounding out before the mechanism can lock

Thanks both.
I think between you, you have possibly pinpointed where the problem lies. I shall buy some more kits and do a bit more experimenting, paying particular attention to the cam/bump-click feature and try to see exactly what`s happening.

Ian

Latest posts

Back