Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard Raffan uses beeswax on most his turnings.
Uses the same cloth so there is a build up of the wax on that,but the lathe will have to run fast to melt it and spread it evenly.
Woodwax is a lot easier :D

Basic limitation with Bees wax is that it melts at hand temperature, therefore if regularly handled it can dull, also if subjected to water splashes it can show as white 'rain drop' type marks.

I think petercharlesfagg (UK) recently had a problem with this and had to rework some of his stuff which only had his usual Bees wax finish.

Beeswax was traditionally used to waterproof the inside of drinking vessels by melting and allowing to soak into the grain repeatedly so I suppose historically it has been used

pete

Bodrighy":3jhm3hkt said:
Ironically I have just made 40 pendant blanks for someone to pyrograph and paint. Someone obviously likes pendants :lol:

Pete

I like pendants - I love pendants, and being female, I wear them :wink: but I've never come close to selling one. I've got an outlet which has taken a dozen, and marked them up considerably, so we'll see how that goes.

LW

If done on spec. they do move better if in a set with earrings LW. despite boxes full of suitable material I only do them to order these days.

Thanks for the input guys Richard is sending me a tin of 22 wax & with
the bars of bees wax which apparently have a percentage of
canauba wax mixed in..I will practice some finishes..

I was in Scarborough early this summer & came across a small stall
that sold pendants and pens in a small
glass case..I asked the owner about them she said they sell very well.
They where being made by a friend of hers...'Bet' he's a member of the forum :lol:
Not to bring money in to art of wood-turning but it can get quite expensive
especially when you want to use the more exotic woods....

Back