Trying to identify this little beuty!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Seeking assistance from the tool experts out there - I was at a rural crafts fair today in South Norfolk and picked up this little shoulder plane on a tool stall mainly selling engineering tools but there were a few woodworking tools as well.

Anyway it is 6" long on the sole and 5/8" wide with a nice blade with plenty of life left - the infill is rosewood and whilst there is a very light stamp on the blade and the inside of the plane these markings are not legible - the photos do not really do it justice and it sits in the hand beautifully - need a sharpen but am very pleased with it - especially as I only paid £20 for it!!

Any ideas of a maker or is it an apprentices piece, if the latter it is extremely high quality

I reckon that is user made. It could quite possibly have been a school metalwork project.

The thing that makes me say that is the curved lever. A commercial plane would have a casting, but that looks like it was made from standard mild steel strip with just a little time at the forge and anvil to make the central bend, flatten one end and curl a hook. The rest is standard sawing, drilling, riveting, filing and threading.

But I do agree it looks well done and could be a very good user.

Dodge":3s9o8rml said:
Any ideas of a maker or is it an apprentices piece, if the latter it is extremely high quality

Most planes like that come from students at tech colleges.

Outside college, you need to be a metal worker (with facilities) to make that tool, but a woodworker to want that tool, which would be an unusual (but not impossible :) ) combo.

BugBear

Gave the shoulder plane a clean , re-grind and hone and all I will say is who need lie-Nielsen - It holds a superb edge and is a real gem to use.

It has pride of place in my planes cabinet now :D :D

Dodge":ijf6uz2o said:
Gave the shoulder plane a clean , re-grind and hone and all I will say is who need lie-Nielsen - It holds a superb edge and is a real gem to use.

It has pride of place in my planes cabinet now :D :D

I was worried that the lever cap engages a long way from the cutting edge; in most designs the blade is held not far behind the bevel arris.

Good to hear it's working well for you.

BugBear

Back