tree lumber identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigal1968

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all after a little help with identification of lumber please any help greatly appreciated
hvrk8p.jpg

eryj9d.jpg

Yes Alder and no it doesn't turn very well very woolly and turns best wet, make sure your tools are very sharp and if you are turning bowls be ready to do some shear scraping.Oh by the way it's rubbish firewood as well.

going by what i have read online sounds like alder,as far as turning it i will rough turn it kiln it then blast it with 40 grit power sanding and sanding sealer usually sorts things out lol

bigal1968":edsb5xk6 said:
going by what i have read online sounds like alder,as far as turning it i will rough turn it kiln it then blast it with 40 grit power sanding and sanding sealer usually sorts things out lol
Still won't make it burn any better, and apart from using as a learning curve on how to present the tools for best cutting performance I can't envision it being worth a great deal of effort, certainly have my doubts about it resulting in anything robust enough to stand the test of time as a finished article.

Most of the UK grown woods that like damp/wet conditions such as Black Poplar, Willow, Alder etc. which usually have rapid growth, tend to be woolly in texture and any finished surface prone to easily mark and dent.

CHJ":2e1r3hdq said:
Most of the UK grown woods that like damp/wet conditions such as Black Poplar, Willow, Alder etc. which usually have rapid growth, tend to be woolly in texture and any finished surface prone to easily mark and dent.

+1

I've tried using give away cheap timbers like Alder or Horse Chestnut for secondary furniture components like cabinet backs. Alder's probably the best of a bad bunch, but it's still rubbish. I wouldn't sink much time or effort into processing or working it, just split it up and run it through your woodburner.

Timbers like Alder or Horse Chestnut aren't trees, they're just weeds on sticks!

turned a bowl from it was quick and pretty easy sealed with pva in kiln should sand well looking at it no tear out but wet so not expected.should sand well with 40 grit first hit then up to 600 then cut out a slot give it somebody as a yarn bowl turned a bit like sycamore get all my lumber free from trees surgeons so no big deal. if it fails would of spent max 1 hour 30 minutes on it.i will not use a scrapper on this i will just true it up with a small gouge and sand when dry.

I would say definitely Aspen. The diamond markings on the bark are what gives it away.

If it was alder then the timber oxidises very quickly and on fresh cuts, in a matter of minutes it would usually (probably always, but I've not cut them all down so can't be 100% sure) turn orange with hints of darker red and sometimes light purple.
Aspen tends to get this yellow tinge when freshly cut. Depending on when you cut it you often also get an unpleasant, acrid smell from it but this usually dissipates within a few minutes.

Another feature of most of the Aspen in the UK is that it grows very quickly - look how wide apart those growth rings are.

looked at a lot of images for aspen and none look like what people are saying this is elder (does that make sense did in my head)

if you also search alder bark images looks nothing like alder lol so funny.o well its wood long as it dries ok in the kiln and finishes ok and brings me 30.00 minimum i will be happy nice to put a name of the wood to an item.its that white i call it sycamore lol

Here's a couple of photos of an Aspen tree from work today:

Note the variation in bark even though it's the same tree (first pic faces west, the other faces east). The diamond markings are typical. No photos of the timber as we haven't cut any down this year.

Here's some Alder, cut yesterday so coloured.

If you google 'aspen bark images' you tend to get very pale trees. If you google 'aspen bark images uk' you'll get something like I've shown.

I've turned it before and it's ok if it's all you can get but the fast growing nature gives it wide growth rings so not always the most interesting. The bits I've done didn't have much figure either, but I'm not sure how typical that it. Also a bit wooly so tricky to get a decent finish at times.

great info thanks as markings not that bothered really if it is boring i will just add some colours to it then lacquer it should do the job.i will do a funky dye job on it then ping makes all the difference.

not finished yet but yes the wood is plain but it sanded well so i coloured it then lacquered it i think it looks ok wife likes it so i guess thats ok.Will be attaching an oak foot to it total work time around 4 to 5 hours maybe less i do not watch time.hope you like it.
2d76g74.jpg

2r5glkj.jpg

Back