Treating woodworm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnicycleBloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just acquired part of an apple tree from a local orchard. It's been lying in a bin for who knows how long, and has a lot of beetle exit holes and under bark tracks. I don't have a freezer. What's the best treatment? I could just soak it in some DIY store chemicals, but will this discolour the wood?

Cheers

Al

If you have it in small enough pieces a few short sharp bursts in the microwave will sort it out ( no more than 30 secs then let it cool between bursts) otherwise I'd be inclined to scrap it. It has a good chance of being pretty soft if it is as far gone as you describe anyway. Make sure it's nowhere near decent wood if you do keep it untreated.

pete

No microwave either! Really need to spend some cash on more practical items. :)

I sawed through the trunk and the wood seems pretty good, so I won't burn it yet.

Al

Chances are it isn't actually furniture beetle - especially if the wood has been left in a damp place. Drying the wood will see off bark boring beetles - to be really sure, strip off the bark as well.

If you are still worried you can dissolve as much borax (not borax substitute) as you can in hot water, then apply this to the wood. Better penetration (and a more poisonous solution) can be achieved by mixing the solution half & half with ethylene glycol antifreeze. Neither of these colour the wood, & both will result in nasty dust when turning so use good dust extraction & wear a mask.

You may have problems buying borax from ironmongers now as I think the EEC regulations may be getting in the way of its sale (my local ironmonger can now only obtain "borax substitute") - however, lab grade borax is still easily obtainable on ebay - but it's purer and hence more expensive than the stuff they used to sell for domestic use.

If the infestation is just on the outer surface,bark sap wood,and there is no rot in the middle,i would just cut off what you want to turn,turn and finish it,and keep the rest sealed in plastic bags/bin liners.

Back