Treasure chest type box with curved lid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davic

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to make a treasure chest type box with curved lid but I am a bit confused as how to get the horizontal beams to fit. Would I need to get the angles of the wood cut to make a nice curve and if so how would I do this please? I can only imagine the corners sticking out otherwise.

Yes, you do need to make a bevel along each edge so that the boards join up like the sides of a polygon when seen from the end. A full size drawing will be a big help.

It's a good exercise in accurate hand planing, or else you can make a jig of some sort to reduce the errors. One way would be to make a shooting board with the bed at a suitable angle so your plane would still run as usual. Another way would be to make a sloping base for an electric router.

You'll need to decide whether you want flat facets to the lid - which is easiest - or a smooth curve. If you want a smooth curve you will need to use thicker wood so that you can plane the angles away.

If you want it to be really complicated you could make the whole lid taper in the length so that the top is like a slice off a barrel - but that could be quite challenging!

Cheers both, I'll check it out. I'd doubt the mods would get upset for posting useful stuff :?

AndyT":2nozbqo4 said:
Yes, you do need to make a bevel along each edge so that the boards join up like the sides of a polygon when seen from the end. A full size drawing will be a big help.

It's a good exercise in accurate hand planing, or else you can make a jig of some sort to reduce the errors. One way would be to make a shooting board with the bed at a suitable angle so your plane would still run as usual. Another way would be to make a sloping base for an electric router.

You'll need to decide whether you want flat facets to the lid - which is easiest - or a smooth curve. If you want a smooth curve you will need to use thicker wood so that you can plane the angles away.

If you want it to be really complicated you could make the whole lid taper in the length so that the top is like a slice off a barrel - but that could be quite challenging!

Yeah, It'd be nice to be good enough to do some barrel type stuff but I am years away from that... .. .

When I made a bow fronted corner cupboard, I made a jig for the curved doors.

Just four plywood templates, at the required arc; spaced at the right intervals. I worked out how many staves would be practical and planed each pair to fit marking as I went along. I doubt any of the angles were constant, but I aimed to make each joint fit, straight from the plane. I used the jig with wedges, to clamp up for gluing. It left a series of 'flats' on the inside of the doors, but it worked, and I sold the cupboard okay.
HTH :)

Back