Track Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also own 3 tracksaws.......(I know,....I have a problem..!!!!) I have both the TS55, TS75 & the TSC55 (Cordless) They each have their purpose and perform very well. They are an absolute godsend when it comes to cutting sheet material. As Eric said, when doing Plunge cuts for Sink & Hob cutouts when used with the Kickback stop, you wouldnt go back to using a jigsaw.

Try breaking down a sheet of material such as MFC with a standard circular saw and a homemade wooden guide and you will see the advantages of a track saw......! You cut it once, it is spot on for size, no breakout and ready to be edged.

I have no experience of the Dewalt, Makita or the cheaper version track saw linked to above, so can only base my experience on the Festool saws.

Yes, they do cost a bit more money, but it is money well spent and you will not regret it.

Tim.

EDIT. I still have a Hitachi C70 Circular Saw in its metal storage case somewhere as well as a huge Elu Circular saw. Both are still running, well at least they were when I last used them about 8 years ago. Offers anyone....????

Tim,

Was out of my budget but why both the ts 55 and the cordless. Will the cordless not completely replace it or is it a battery life issue?

Mark

Just to say that the boys doing my loft conversion at the moment use the Makita track saw. I spoke to one about it and he said he previously had the Festool but much preferred the Makita. Said the Festool was gutless and would bog down/struggle with certain cuts the Makita flies through and both were equally as accurate as each other. Never used a track saw myself but thought I'd mention this as I only had the conversation with them a week or so ago.

I suppose its a bit like a multi tool, could never see the necessity for one until my OH bought me a Fein, I don't think I have put it down since, may have to invest in a track saw next.

Mike

marcros":et74o972 said:
Tim,

Was out of my budget but why both the ts 55 and the cordless. Will the cordless not completely replace it or is it a battery life issue?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I got the TS75 first, for a specific job that the TS55 would not do (cutting 45 degree bevels on 50mm thick material). I soon realised that using the 75 every day was heavy going when doing a lot of short repetitive cuts. So, I then got the 55 and it is far easier to use as it is substantially lighter than its big brother.
I then started a few projects on a couple of building sites and found the lack of mains power to be an issue, so decided to get the TSC55 for my site work.

I will add, that apart from my cordless tools, all my power tools are 240v as the vast majority of my work is in residentual properties. The 110v versions are renowned for lacking in power when compared with their 240v equivalents.

I have a good mate who is in the same business as me, and he highly recommended the TSC55 to me. He reckons since he got the Cordless version, he has'nt used his 240v saw. So, if his experience is anything to go by, the cordless version would replace the mains version. BUT, the cordless version does drain the batteries quite quickly if you are using it on a constant basis, so unless you have already invested in the 18v battery platform, you could be waiting around for your batteries to re-charge.

Tim.

Perhaps for the non-professional user (whatever that really is) it's a question of how valuable is your time?

Track saw is certainly a faster way to do most sheet material jobs (and others) v a guide and saw.

Happy Makita owner here. Some people are put off by it's omission of a riving knife but i've never had any bother and i'd say it was one of the best buys i've ever made. Was a godsend when i was fitting kitchens and is equally as useful now i work from home and have to process lots of sheets of plywood.

as a total rank amateurerererrr I picked up a TS55 + 2x1.4 tracks and the clamps just over a year ago.
Yes its slighgly overkill for lots of tasks but its a joy to use and I'm sure that goes for the Mafell/dewalt/makita/bosch ones too (I know shleppppach, titan and parkside have them too but I'd be skeptical about those tbh).
I've broken down sheet goods to manageable sizes, I've cut sheet goods to fit shed bases/roofs, even used it to cut the door out of the shed wall as it was easier to get everything lined up that way :lol:
The biggest revelation was simply using the dust ports on tools with a vac, that has made everything much nicer to use!

We had the cash handy so the festool wasnt such a painful buy, plus I have a list as long as my arm of projects to so it will earn its keep over the coming years, but its nice to know it would sell for good money if I ever needed to.

I use a similar argument with throttle bodies and aftermarket engine management, in that yes its expensive but resale is hardly ever less than 80% of what you paid so longer term its actually quite cheap :D Man maths at work

Wuffles,

Ridiculous: Is such a strong word and slightly insulting. I would argue that there are many things you need to ask questions about before that particular accusation is made. eg What is it I don't know but need to.

Disappointing.

I'll try to remember to take pics of my wooden guides and the results on ply/mrmdf/real wood though it may take a week or so as I am on hols next week for 2weeks.

Al

Seriously,if budget is a concern look at the Titan from screwfix. Saw and tracks (albeit short ones) for £99, and saw will run on Makita rails. Also has a nice flip down widget that compensates for the track thickness so you can use the depth gauge both on and off the real. My dad's needed a little fettling but is very hard to fault alongside my Makita.

I dont think you can be sure a homemade wooden track will be as straight as the ali tracks. That would always bug me. I think any tracksaw would help you no end and instantly.

Latest posts

Back