Toy Box soft closing lid.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slidgeman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just finished making this toy box for a friend and is ready for spraying. Can anyone recommend suitable gas strut/stays that I can use to hopefully prevent the lid slamming shut on little fingers? The lid is 18mm mdf, 1000mm x 500mm, and quite heavy.

Thanx,

Doug.

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 164
Hi Doug, we have a large old pine chest we keep the kids toys hidden in, similar worries led me to buy a gas strut from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-Strut-Cab ... 1008638344 some while back, seems well made/ good seller etc. You need to work out the weight of the lid and which length you need. They have the weights/loadings on the page. I guessed mine and got a short 120N stay. Obviously overestimated because the lid just stayed upright lol. Removed it and stuck it on a shelf til now. You're welcome to it if it's the one you need. PM me if you can use itand I'll stick it the post. Reminds me to buy a more suitable one before my daughter gets big enough to lift the lid on her own. They're only a couple of quid.
Cheers
Chris

That looks like a nice box there doug, but I am concerned about the detail around the lid, with a flat top you have a crush danger but what you have there is a blunt shearing action which to me is a lot more serious.

Thanks for replies,

Mailee, would you say the stays you mentioned be strong enough for a lid 1000mm X 500mm made from 18mm mdf?
Chrispy, good point you have made, I will cut a section out of the top of the front of box so as to leave a gap of say an inch when lid is closed.

Thanks again.

Here, the recommendation is to use lid supports that keep the lid open at any angle to which the lid is opened. Also, it may be an idea to have some ventilation holes for a worse-case scenario. In the chest I built for my son I did not want to drill any holes, so I put in a temporary piece so that the lid never closed completely. Now he is older and stronger, I have removed the piece.

Back