Tormek 2000 problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a newbie to the forum, but wanted to ask for some assistance.
My old Tormek slows down when I add any real pressure, to a near standstill. I came on to see if there was any advice about new motors, but it sounds like it's plausible that's not the issue.
Some posters suggested the drive shaft- I've never done this before- is there a guide to how to do it, or someone to whom I could take it in London who knows what they're doing? I don't want to mess it up completely.
Thanks for your help in advance,

eggplant":1b9w8px2 said:
I'm a newbie to the forum, but wanted to ask for some assistance.
My old Tormek slows down when I add any real pressure, to a near standstill. I came on to see if there was any advice about new motors, but it sounds like it's plausible that's not the issue.
Some posters suggested the drive shaft- I've never done this before- is there a guide to how to do it, or someone to whom I could take it in London who knows what they're doing? I don't want to mess it up completely.
Thanks for your help in advance,

Hi Eggplant - just happened to be on when your query came through.

There are two contributory factors to slow running - one is the motor drive shaft slipping , and the second, which causes it, is that the main shaft bearing deteriorates with the water from the stone.

There will no doubt be others who disagree with me on this but I always disconnect the water bath after sharpening - it may be that others think that the stone should always be kept wet, but my experience is that that dampness gets into the bearing and causes corrosion, or certainly makes it go stiff.

Every so often if the shaft is not running all that well I run a light oil into the bearing area and leave the machine running for a while to loosen it off.

I haven't re-read the whole thread through but seem to remember that if the motor drive spindle had got a bit polished than some sand-paper on it was all that was necessary - but take the honing wheel off first. This actually is a very simple machine and you really can't go wrong. I would be a little careful with the oil as it could be that oil and stone don't mix !!

Rob

Hmmm, had a Tormek 2000 for over ten years, never taken the trough off after use (though the water evaporates quite quickly) and never had a seizing problem, despite it sometimes going unused for weeks. But maybe after reading this thread I'll stir my stumps and give it a clean and grease!

Thanks for the advice.

Keith

Musicman - the other reason for removing the waterbath is that the stone gets wet only on one side when stationary and typically then collects rust on part of the working surface.

Rob

hi Rob,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I still don't know how exactly do I do that? I haven't taken it apart before.

Back