Tormec alternative.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here's my decision. I really like the water cooled sandstone wheel idea. I could get a second hand traditional sandstone wheel on eBay and attach a motor. But that will take a little bit of time to organise so in the meantime I'm looking into getting a CBN wheel. I have a few reservations about this...

1. all the reviews I can find about CBN gringing wheel seem to be from turners who use HSS tools, I'm a cabinetmaker and most of my tools are 01 or A2 steel so not sure if I'll have problems overheating tools or clogging up the wheels with the softer 01/A2 steels.

2. I've used diamond bench stones for honing in the past (admittedly not the most expensive available) and found that they become duller more quickly than the manufacturers had suggested. CBN is claimed to last a lifetime but from what I have read it is slightly softer than diamond so not sure if I trust tge claims made about it's longevity.

Any advise on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

Beau":2sr4di59 said:
... and don't tell a certain member on here but it's great for flattening the back of blades...

If you can do it, brilliant. But you said yours isn't a Tormek or similar.

I can't, but I've got the tools I've got, so I use wet+dry on the edge of a glass plate. Slow, but cheap, and I only need do it very rarely.

I still wouldn't recommend someone unfamiliar with them* trying it on a Tormek-style machine (the original issue) - the risk of ruining a decent chisel or plane iron is too great (and gouging the back is about the only way you CAN really ruin them).

Enjoy your Makita.

E.

*I did originally write "a complete novice" but the OP evidently isn't!

Have you looked at the Worksharp, it is available through Rutlands in the UK. I use it for regrinding chisels and Plane Blades, I bought the DMT plates. It is a reasonable speed to regrind.

Latest posts

Back