Tools of the Decade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Gibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
We've been asking readers which is the best bit of new kit (tools or machines) they've bought in the 'Noughties so that we can make a Reader Award of the Tools of the Decade.

Perhaps Forum members could add their suggestions (though I know many of you have already)? Do so either on this thread or by email to me at [email protected].

Thanks

Nick

I think my Lie Neilsen Low Angle Jack plane is one of the most useful and versatile tools I own, superb interpretation of an old standard

I guess the LV Dovetail Saw has to be on your list. It's hard thinking of ground breaking tools in the last ten year. CNC has become much more accessible to woodworkers but still niche. Lots of tools are now being made safer than ever before but they are still the same machine as before. Obviously Sawstop can't be on your list. Track saws? Festool being the obvious one, but I think Maffell was there first? What about LV's low angle planes? How long have they been about?

Two votes really, take your pick.

My personal "best buy" of the last 10 years is my Jet JPT310 P/T. It's probably the single most used piece of equipment in the workshop, other than the dust extractors. I know budget P/Ts have been around for a long while, but the re-thinking of some fundamental design aspects, along with the tank like build quality it offers at very respectable price point put it in a class of it's own.

I think the single biggest advance for home woodworkers though has to be the radical increase in availability of decent budget priced tablesaws. When I bought my Scheppach 2500 about 10 years ago there was very little choice. There was the Scheppach which came in around £1500 with all the bells and whistles, it's little brother for a bit less and a couple of models from Kity, if you could find one. Apart from those, and the occasional galvanised steel topped contractors saw that was about it, there was an almost complete dearth of mid range tablesaws with induction motors and any decent level of accuracy. The introduction of machines with features like cast iron tops and sliding tables for around £750 has transformed the capabilities of any number of shed dwelling woodworkers.

Not sure about tool of the decade but as a festool domino owner I always think its overated. Not worth £500 or what ever its priced at.

I think I'd consider the tool of the noughties to be the table saw. Decent quality saws have become available for all rather than just the rich. My sip saw cost me less than 500 quid (I know it's more now). Before the noughties I though I was going to have to spend over a thousand.

More recently I love my Makita 10v drill & impact driver. No matter which brand you've got these little drills are fantastic to have at hand in the workshop. The charge time is fast enough so that even if they are drained I can stick them on charge and do something else for a bit.

I'm sure others will have had these sort of tools well before the noughties but they are my personal choice.

Dave

Good choices, Dusty Dave. The Makita drills are fantastic value. Watch out for something Bosch will be bringing out in the New Year, which we'll be revealing in the next issue of British Woodworking.

And tablesaws generally are a good shout too. The choice was pretty limited 10 years ago, and quality seems to have risen fast.

Keep those suggestions coming. There have been some great ideas.

Thanks

Nick

Not exactly a proper wood working tool but my Paslode IM350 gas nail gun has saved me a great deal of time, even allowing me to fence on my own!

Cheers,
C

Festool Domino. After only two weeks of ownership it's already saved me two whole days of labour. To a pro its benefits are unparallelled in time saving, strength and accuracy for framing/carcase/cabinet-making tasks. And much, much more. Its £579 purchase price will be paid back in just a few months, or even weeks.

My top woodworking product of the decade is not really a tool, but tools are surely up there. With the improvements that have been made over this time to the cordless drill they are hard to beat, but! the: Sliding compound mitre saw, has to take top spot these have come a long way in the past ten years, I can't think of any reason why a woodworker wouldn't have one.

Sorry for lacking originality but my favourites:
1) Paslode IM350 nailer - knock in thousands of roof batten nails in a few days: Saves time + safer than [my] hammering at height + no repetative strain injury.
2) Sliding mitre saw
3) Planer / Thicknesser

Somehow I expected this thread to be completely dominated by planes! Nice to see that it isn't, but just to balance the preponderance of power tools, (and site tools at that) I have already told Nick that I nominate a simple little hand-saw that has probably been around for 100 years.......the Pax Gent's saw. It is certainly my favourite new buy in the last 10 years........(Ok, Ok, it is virtually my only new buy in 10 years!!). Amazing how often I reach for it, and dovetails are really easy with it.

I suppose my second choice would be a small sheet of glass and a pack or two of wet 'n dry.........scary sharpening has transformed my cutting edges in the last few years.

Mike

Back