Titch's Workshop/Brew Shed/Store - Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi the insulation is fine in costs terms
the foil roll in that picture is just the wrap didn't cost a lot for what is there, and any left over ill bung in my loft

if i wrap the frame in this i presume i put the foil towards the inside facing the insulation.
then i could us it to hold the insulation in place before i board it out.

thanks for the advise.

I did look at celotex style insulation but starting to look silly cost wise

welll looks like today could be a washout. answer me this why does it always rain on bank holidays ?

answer on a postcard

WEll today started miserable, then the rain eased off so we went for it
Dad me and the Wife
youngest child Son 6 yrs old

WE were off, but getting drizzled on

One side and back panel up
other end up

bracing at th eend of the day as weather beat us

Couple of rafters in

notice the extra pieces in the top, just to give a little extra run off, will be hidden by external and internal cladding ;-)

So not a bad day all in all

hope tomorrow is crackign flags so i can get on with cladding

still unsure wether to put the paper on before the cladding or not mmmmmmm

Todays progress

Both backwalls up just after lunch, helper given up collecting cut offs and climbing the tree

One end up before it was too dark

so looking good so far

had a comment of one of the neighbours,

"Ohh didnt realise it was so big"

oops might of upset a 12yr friendship there...................
i did tell them i was going as big as i could

ooh well see how we go tomorrow

make them a planer out of off cuts ;-)

Afternoon break for lunch

had a slight crisis so lost an hour, the little side pieces were put on then when it came time to fit the piece that went across the top of the door frame it was 5mm out on the hozisontal.

pipper smashed them all out and recovered what i could then fit them from top to bottom to make sure it was level across the door.

Evening finished after cutting the final piece to fit at the top

All tools away and roof goes on tomorrow

now to work out the shingles

Finished last night at 2045 with final shingle in place
need to do the trim and gutter then i can turn my hand at the doors etc
floors and insulation

QU:
i have laid the rafters across the top of the structure and laid the boards over them, this has an air gap front to back.
Now if i stuff with insulation and cladd internally whats best for the air gap ?
insect screen or ?????

Also do i need to put some bracing in front to back ?
there will be one partition wall in there anyway but should i put a few extra in for good measure between the walls ?

final size is around 8.2 to 2.4

Neighbours seem ok

Titch":18ypu4ag said:
final size is around 8.2 to 2.4

Neighbours seem ok

That's a nice sized workshop! Let me know how the neighbours are after a few sessions of noisy tool wood butchery ;-)

I'm in the process of moving out of my garage into a shed I build a few years ago - hopefully my neighbours will be forgiving too)!

Cheers

Leigh

Looking very nice there.

Hopefully the neighbour will stay sweet, as I fear they could make trouble for you if you are as close to the boundary as you look. You should be OK for planning as you look under 2.5m high, which is good if you are within 2m of the boundary, but anything over 15m2 within 1m of the boundary should have building regulation sign off and to secure that should be made of non-combustable material - as per Steve M's massive build thread where he has had to retrospectively deal with this to keep building control happy.

Maybe make a nice set of shelves for the neighbours when you are up and running :lol: .

Terry.

Yeah plan originally was two separate sheds with a deck between. But I closed it in.
Oops ooh well
Height is under 2.5m.
Very close to boundary but final size is the one issue I have.
I went over the local plannign site and i said no to all questions asked on there.
If I get a visit I can removed an end wall and shuffle in. To get under 15m2.
Or
Paint with some fire proofing ?

All walls were insulated this weekend.

There is only one neighbour I haven't spoken to yet at the back the others have commented favorably.
I'm hoping cos i did a proper job they will all play nice.

Got the cladding for internal this weekend.
I'm Wondering weather to chance it or change design or could call building control.

Mmmmm decisions .
Based on response so far and village I live in. Hopefully be ok.
Only issue is an extension to thew house planned this year on the house.
Means BCO will be on site, but they should deal with it as separate issue and still sign off my extension.
Depends if bco looks into the workshop whilst he's here .
Will use non council private firm, if they exist ? see if my builder can have a word ;-)

Titch":hb94kk1l said:
Yeah plan originally was two separate sheds with a deck between. But I closed it in.
Oops ooh well
Height is under 2.5m.
Very close to boundary but final size is the one issue I have.
I went over the local plannign site and i said no to all questions asked on there.
If I get a visit I can removed an end wall and shuffle in. To get under 15m2.
Or
Paint with some fire proofing ?

All walls were insulated this weekend.

There is only one neighbour I haven't spoken to yet at the back the others have commented favorably.
I'm hoping cos i did a proper job they will all play nice.

Got the cladding for internal this weekend.
I'm Wondering weather to chance it or change design or could call building control.

Mmmmm decisions .
Based on response so far and village I live in. Hopefully be ok.
Only issue is an extension to thew house planned this year on the house.
Means BCO will be on site, but they should deal with it as separate issue and still sign off my extension.
Depends if bco looks into the workshop whilst he's here .
Will use non council private firm, if they exist ? see if my builder can have a word ;-)

I would suggest keeping the neighbour's sweet your head down. I don't think just a fireproof paint would cut it. Steve has been pulling timber cladding off the side of his workshop and although he does not seem to want to discuss in detail yet I suspect a specific fireproof cladding is going to be his answer. Steve did say it was a costly mistake, so I presume the fireproof material is not cheap.

No idea what may happen if the BCO come round for your extension, but I presume the rules have evolved over time so maybe just ensure it is well weathered by then and he may just assume it complied with the rules that were in force when it was built :wink: . Or, you mentioned a partition wall, how about putting two doors in and if he asks tell him it is two separate sheds built very, very close together :lol: .

Look forward to seeing finally pictures.

Terry.

right workshop is done bar electrics
all walls clad etc intenally
started to move stuff from garage had a sudden rain storm
noticed water on front wall inside
pipper....rain stopped went on the roof lifted shingles along the drip direction checked for water, and added some bitumen paint to seal

think i might need to stip the roof and put some extra membrane down.
man who sold me the stuff didnt say anything about membrane.

do i need it
these are bitumen shingles with a sticky bit

not looking forward to taking them off and getting them back in the same place

Back