Titan compound mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiac

Established Member
Reaction score
http://m.screwfix.com/details.htm?id=73135&csnbl=1

I've got my first ever compound mitre saw the 89.99 argos challenge which I bought second hand for 20 quid but I don't think it does trench / dado so I looked on screwfix and they have these with very positive reviews for a low priced saw.

Currently out of stock though aaargh! For weekend diy project type use I'm pretty sure it would do me fine.

Anything else that anyone can recommend for not much more money ? I can't justify a dewalt or whatever.

Don't know if I should wait for one of these or not.

TIA :)

It's not a slider so it won't do housings for you but the Makita MLS100 is a very good and accurate machine for not too much outlay. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for but if I were just doing things like cutting 4x2s to length, flooring and architrave that would be a good solution on a budget.

If it's the Titan TTB598MSW you're referring to (the link takes you to SF's home page) it's been out of stock for months. I was after one as a replacement to my 20+ year old Elu/DeWalt.

In the end I went with the Evolution RAGE3-S 210mm Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, takes a bit of tinkering to get it's angles 100%, and the fence is horrifically out, to the point that I had to shim it to achieve 90 degrees to the table, but after that it's been fine. Only used the blade that comes with it so far, and need to change it for a more refined cut, but it's decent enough as a freebie. Loads of power, although starts with a fair old kick to it, and hasn't blinked once when cutting very thick timbers, even when I neglected to swivel the compound mitre part of the fence out of the way, which resulted in a "Whats THAT that just dropped off it!" moment.

John.

Have a look at the Metabo K 216M. But more expensive at around £170 but is rock solid in use. Mine needed a slight tweak to get 90 degrees but 5-10 and it was all good and has remained so. Dust extraction is not crest even with my festool midi attached but I suspect that's the case with most the lower priced saws.

Their Titan stuff goes in and out of stock. Sometimes they're listed on the website despite the fact that only one Screwfix in the country actually has one in stock.

I bought a Titan bench grinder though and it's great.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=TTB59 ... 3&ie=UTF-8

says that it is a slider, screwfix site is down right now. They do have a Shleppach (spelling?) that has one review at 5/5 but I'd rather see more reviews than once person before I drew any recommendation.

My Challenge Extreme Argos Special is a degree out for 90deg cross cutting so I'm not happy with that :( I work around it but it should be accurate surely or state that the guide is somewhere near!! When I set it on the 90 I expect a 90 cut and the Titan reviews say it is spot on which would really bloody simplify things !!

+1 for the Makita or the Rage. I have both and they're great machines. I would steer clear of the Fury (green diy version of the Rage) mitre saws, adjustment is wooly and the pivots have loads of play.

Back