Timber Cladding for Extension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treadwater

Reaction score
I'm currently half way through an extension to the rear of our property and was planning on cladding it.

Im fairly certain of the outlines of what i want, but any advice on the finer details would be muchly appreciated.

Im looking for:

Vertical cladding
A modern look - i'm less keen on the feather edge profiles
I'll most likely varnish it, rather than leave it to silver. The linseed oil effect looks fantastic but realistically its a lot of work reapplying it every year

Completely undecided at this point as to which species - oak would be fantastic but obviously this would push the cost up. Western Red Cedar is definitely a possibility

Heres a decent example of what im hoping to create, it works well with the anthracite windows and doors

Attachments

• 65632f163050af42ff17195db0384a63.jpg
    65632f163050af42ff17195db0384a63.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 309
I guess the profile is vertical channel cladding.

Western red cedar, siberian larch, chestnut are options.

Have you considered thermowood cladding?

http://www.silvatimber.co.uk/thermowood ... 118mm.html

Or Sioo protection which turns the wood a natural even grey, rather than the dirty weathered grey of unfinished oak that changes colour unevenly and suffefs terrible water staining

If you want something that clean looking you'll need to consider the timber quality as well as species. Love the larch on my shed build but it's far from the knot free finish in the picture.

F.

Daughter and her husband have just had their large extension clad in Siberian larch. They are going to leave it to silver, so will be interesting to watch. The boards are as they came off the resaw, just square edged and unplaned.

we did kings school in chester using Siberian larch that has been left to go grey at first I thought they were nuts but a year on when I drive past it does look very nice,
slate.

We did our house 7 years ago in canadian western red cedar left untreated and it's now gone a beautiful mellow silver colour. I think as soon as you seal it you have a job for life re-sealing. Water will get under the varnish in no time at all imho and you'll be faced with stipping and re-finishing every few years.

Make sure you get canadian western red - it's unbelievable stuff - light, strong, straight and stable.

I clad my workshop with Siberian Larch last year but I don't like the silver, weathered look. I have also seen plenty of external timber with peeling varnish over the years so didn't want that either.

I decided to treat it with Sansin SDF which I bought from Silva at the same time as the timber. (sorry I can't include a link as this is my first post here)
Sansin SDF's specially formulated oils and resins penetrate deep into the wood, providing outstanding weather and UV protection that won't crack, peel or blister.
It was a lot of work orbital sanding each shiplap plank and coating all faces of the timber before fixing, but i'm really pleased with the result and glad I did it that way.

IMG_20160706_145049.jpg

It only had one coat - two would be better but I may add a second coat to the outside this year. (it's a lot easier to apply than varnish :D )

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_20160706_145049.jpg
    IMG_20160706_145049.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 211
If you are willing to prep the boards and finish them before putting them up the first time I've been hugely impressed with the look of OSMO hard wax oils. They have some products for external use with UV inhibitors in them and as long as the wood remains undamaged re-application is very easy. No extensive sanding or fooling around needed. Almost wipe on, wipe off.

Not cheap by any standards but I think it is very reasonable given the easy maintenance.

Good luck with the project!

Back