tiling on uneven walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to tile our new walk in shower and I cant get my head around doing the corners.

All of the walls tilt in slightly towards the top, so when I cut the tiles into the corners they will taper towards the top. Is this going to look rubbish?? Is there a better way to deal with this? I cant see how. They will be slightly under half tiles going in the corners, so hopefully this will alleviate the issue.

They are 600x300 tiles.

Anyone with experience of doing this?

Hi mick
I think it would depend on how much your walls run off. I wouldn't go any more than an inch or I'd be looking to straighten the walls out.
It would depend on how your walls are constructed but normally strapping and packing the wall straight or dot dabbing would be one of the easiest ways.
You'd also need to look at how much space you'd be losing to see if it would be worth while straightening them out.
Good luck

As you have decided on a walk in shower, then it's surely pointless to not try for a decent end result and
walls out of upright will, as you say probably spoil the overall finish.
You should either plaster the wall straight and plumb, which, by you're account is at the top, so reasonably easy, given a
good plasterer, or dot and dab, (dry line) the wall with green, M R plasterboard, which is a bit drastic when just the tops are out of plumb.
I'd straighten the walls, score and prime with Unibond exterior, and carlite bonding, sticks like the proverbial, and will feather out to a float finish, prime/seal again when set and dry before tiles.
HTH Regards Rodders

Thanks chaps for the words of wisdom.

I don't think it'll be getting onto an inch overall so maybe I'm worrying unduly.

I've already progressed a long way and I'm about to tile so its a bit late in the day now. I should have asked the question earlier. But it sounds like it might not be too bad.

Thanks again

phil.p":3966696g said:
You could tile the back wall (as you look at it) first, so any wide grout lines and unevenness is on the sides - you're not looking straight on them then.

A very good observation from Phil.p, as you have cuts into the inner angle from the two sides, you will be less
likely to notice it so much as opposed to a tapered grout line. Regards Rodders

As Phil says, plus within reason you can put on slightly thicker adhesive on the sections that taper outwards. Not loads, but you could easily lose quarter of an inch that way without any problems.
HTH
Greg

Most if not all walls run out, it only really stands out as you measure up to tile.

As stated do the back wall first and the sides after.
Cut each tile to fit the gap it's going into, matching the bottom of the next tile to the top of the tile below will help hide the gap.
I always silicone the corners of shower areas over the grout.

Once you start looking at other peoples bathrooms you'll see this everywhere.

Making the tiles to be cut as big as possible will help reduce the effect also.

Back