This Mornings spin (& afternoon supplement)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Chestnut, Walnut and Oak. 145mm dia.
Another trial to prove joint thickness control; holding methods/process control/machining order/simplifying of lid fit.
DSCN4135.JPG
DSCN4136.JPG
DSCN4137.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4135.JPG
    DSCN4135.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,003
  • DSCN4136.JPG
    DSCN4136.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,003
  • DSCN4137.JPG
    DSCN4137.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,003
Beautiful work, again. As a newcomer to woodturning I can only aspire to creating something like that in the distant future 8)

Another spare few minutes this afternoon.
Chestnut, Walnut & Oak 140mm dia.
DSCN4138.JPG
DSCN4140.JPG
DSCN4141.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4138.JPG
    DSCN4138.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 964
  • DSCN4140.JPG
    DSCN4140.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 961
  • DSCN4141.JPG
    DSCN4141.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 961
Woodturner1972":1nro5t1o said:
Beautiful work, again. As a newcomer to woodturning I can only aspire to creating something like that in the distant future 8)

Pieces like this are more a matter of construct technique than anything special on the turning front, I'd even go as far as to say the process is more akin to controlled machining rather than turning finesse.

That may be so, but it still takes a skilled hand to produce the invisible glue-lines and elegant curves that you say are machined. Particularly in the curved segments of the top.
I would struggle greatly to produce a simillar box from a single lump of wood, let alone a segmented piece.
For what it is worth. I prefer the lids within your post to that on your avatar. Somehow, I find the contrasting central 'button' more aestheticaly pleasing. Either way, very nice pieces :)

Adam

Very nice . I would be interested in how much time it takes to create such a piece, including creating jigs, all cutting fitting and turning (excluding drying times). So many piece are shown on this forum and rarely any indication of time spent.
I think this would be a benefit to those of us less well advanced so we don't set ourselves unrealistic goals.

On that please don't tell me it took ten minutes to make because I will give up now :)

regards 'Sue'

sue denim":1585qkti said:
.... I would be interested in how much time it takes to create such a piece, including creating jigs, all cutting fitting and turning (excluding drying times). ...

Hmmm... not easy to quote off the top of my head as I tend to do the different phases in batches so that whilst a machine or jig is set up I do several sets of similar items.
Likewise when gluing I try to do several similar components so that I only have to get the tools, clamps, anti glue spill paper etc. out for a reasonable session and post glue-up clean up.
Then on the lathe I endeavour to finish several similar items in the same or subsequent sessions so that the chucks are set up with appropriate jaws and require the minimum amount of time to change out and keep those change outs to a minimum.

This afternoons item, Box and Lid took about 80 minutes to finish turn, sand and buff polish from the two crude glued up assemblies.

I'll try and take note of time taken for various component preparation over the next few days.

Examples:--
Lid segments of Ash rough bandsawn awaiting contour forming now that they are fully dry.
DSCN4142.JPG

A crude small Box assembly and a Lid blank (lid pieces turned and glued up yesterday in batch of four)
DSCN4145.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4142.JPG
    DSCN4142.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 877
  • DSCN4145.JPG
    DSCN4145.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 877

Latest posts

Back