Thin Strips Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
Following on from my previous thread about thin materials, can anybody point me to a jig for trimming thin strips?
I saw one using a plane iron at a show once but cannot find it?

Incidentally I found my TS produced the most consistent results - using the BS to cut them to width. We are talking about 2mm x 4mm.
I tried sanding them on my oscillating sander but will need to make up a better jig which keep the section from flopping about - i.e. one to hold the strip against a fence and to control the depth of cut (sanding)?

I also made some coving - the best method seems to router the profile first then cut to size. Cutting to size first 7mm x 7mm then routing using feather board, produced inconsistent results?

Rod

Hi Rod

In lutherie there are many jigs for making wooden binding...and these can be upscaled depending on your width requirement...

This is a sanding thicknessing jig

and my mate made one out of a plane that had the toe chopped off and then was clamped to a bed on its side.

A fence is then fitted in front of the toe at right angles to the front of the toe.

The iron can then be wound out and back by the fine adjuster.

The wood to be thicknessed is drawn back against the iron edge.

This is VERY effective and can be adusted by tiny amounts. The thickness is absolutely constant because the width remains the same.

I will try to find a picture. Here's a primative one but you get the idea (click picture for article)

Cheers

Jim

Hi Rod,

Robert Wearing shows a couple you can make on pages 128-130 of "The Resourceful Woodworker". He uses parts from an old Record-style spokeshave (lever cap, screws and blade). Basically it's fitted to a board in which there is a groove and the inlay stringing is pulled through under the blade. The depth of cut is adjustable so it produces very accurate results. Looks quite good.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":omftg17y said:
Hi Rod,

Robert Wearing shows a couple you can make on pages 128-130 of "The Resourceful Woodworker". He uses parts from an old Record-style spokeshave (lever cap, screws and blade). Basically it's fitted to a board in which there is a groove and the inlay stringing is pulled through under the blade. The depth of cut is adjustable so it produces very accurate results. Looks quite good.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

IIRC Robert Wearing published a design for a stringing thicknesser, and then (many years later) came up with a MUCH better design, and (effectively) disclaimed the original.

I'm damned if I can recall the details of either design though.

Anyone?

BugBear

Yersssss......"Furniture-making techniques for the wood craftsman" GMC Pubs. Basically, collation of F&C articles...pp48-52. He did publish an earlier version on one of his splendid books, but this one's a cracker.

Aw go on BB; admit you're impressed!

Sam

PS ISBN 1 86108 093X

Edit!!! Original device: "The Resourceful Woodworker" pages 128-130, Bob called it 'an inlay thicknesser'. Batsford Books, 0 7134 6485 2

SammieQ":36nosuvh said:
Yersssss......"Furniture-making techniques for the wood craftsman" GMC Pubs. Basically, collation of F&C articles...pp48-52. He did publish an earlier version on one of his splendid books, but this one's a cracker.

Aw go on BB; admit you're impressed!

Sam

PS ISBN 1 86108 093X

Well if he isn't I certainly am Sam!

8)

Jim

Poor Elvis impression: "Aii thank Y'all...Jim" :D :D

Sam

PS Edit added above, head now too big to pass through standard single door frame :wink:

There is another example of a thin-strip thicknesser in "Decorative Wood Inlay" by Zachary Taylor ISBN 1-86126-043-1 page 24. Crowood Press Ltd Wiltshire SN8 2HR

This book is excellent for anyone into inlay work, stringing, purfling etc etc :D :D

Dave

Latest posts

Back