Thieving B*******!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlawford

Established Member
Reaction score
Excuse my language...woke up last Sunday to find my 3 month old Audi stolen off the driveway. House broken into and key taken. They would have been in and out in 30 seconds. Luckily it's a company car so I'll get a replacement and a choice, but I'm still reeling from thieves being in my house while we were all asleep upstairs.

Also shocked at the ease that cylinder locks and handles can be snapped. Google it and you'll be shocked too (Cylinder lock snapping).

Yale Platinum 3 Star cylinder lock and Mila high security handles now fitted.

sorry to hear that. I did a bit of research when we moved into the current house, and changed cylinders. I too was shocked at the speed and ease that cylinders could be snapped or bumped. I hope that you get everything sorted quickly- just be careful when it is replaced that you don't get targeted. A key safe secured somewhere out of easy access would be a good investment.

You have my sympathies. I was done a couple of months ago. I was in the house at the time. They took my car and smashed it up.. It's a horrible feeling.

As someone who has fitted uPVC for a living for a time, i know how easy it is to break a cylinder and open a door. I'm also someone who has suffered a burglary and had all my electrical goods, including a very expensive stereo stolen. The thought that someone has been rummaging around your house while you are asleep is a horrible feeling. I sympathise.

horrible horrible feeling, hope the missus is ok about it (if there is a missus!) as it tends to effect them more.

Regarding cylinder lock snapping, or lock bumping.

When my son bought his house we obviously changed the locks and bought the more expensive "anti snap" version as I had heard of this issue.

By way of an experiment we snapped the old locks; bearing in mind I had never done it before I was astounded how easy it was. I can well believe that with a little practice and honing the technique, getting in under 30 seconds is no exaggeration.

A semi decent euro cylinder lock can be had for around £25 and they take minutes to fit

Many years ago we were burgled whilst we were asleep upstairs. Horrible feeling and after all this time my wife is still affected. The bugler was caught and got a one year custodial sentence plus restitution - but as he had no money we never saw a penny.

I was supposed to do this a while back but completely forgot. This has reminded me!

Are these the sort of thing I should be going for? (I know they come in differenet sizes, so will need to measure first)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nickel-Platinu ... _1_fkmr0_2

And also - how do you go about getting doubles? so that I can have the same key for the front and back door? .. I couldn't see any multipacks.

transatlantic":140r6ang said:
I was supposed to do this a while back but completely forgot. This has reminded me!

Are these the sort of thing I should be going for? (I know they come in differenet sizes, so will need to measure first)

And also - how do you go about getting doubles? so that I can have the same key for the front and back door? .. I couldn't see any multipacks.

Yes, that's the one. Careful measurement is needed as you say. These come with coded keys - if you know the code, you can order further locks with the same key. I'd recommend speaking with a retailer or check out the Yale website.

I also bought these, but you may need to get a slightly longer lock on the external side due to the keyhole cover. If in doubt, buy a few sizes from Screwfix and take them back!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mila-type-a-h ... hite/19263

jlawford":1rnsi4z9 said:
transatlantic":1rnsi4z9 said:

Yes, that's the one. Careful measurement is needed as you say. These come with coded keys - if you know the code, you can order further locks with the same key. I'd recommend speaking with a retailer or check out the Yale website.

I also bought these, but you may need to get a slightly longer lock on the external side due to the keyhole cover. If in doubt, buy a few sizes from Screwfix and take them back!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mila-type-a-h ... hite/19263

Well thats a bit of a ball ache. Shame you can't just buy a pack of two.

Avoid the ones with the thumb turn
There are ways if putting "tools" through the letterbox and opening the door.
Or having a small child as an accomplice.

I bought a coded pair from the local locksmith who was actually cheaper than screwfix /amazon etc

They are not difficult to measure, you'll see a measurement given as e.g. 40 - 60 or 40 - 10 - 60 it just means mms either side of the tumbler, the 10 in the middle being the tumbler.

It's not hard to devise a way of preventing thumb turns being turned via the letterbox, but I wonder how you stand with insurance? Someone could break in through a window and walk straight out through the door.

I swapped both our kitchen and my workshop door for the Yale anti bump locks and when we leave they go with us and the old ones go back in. The French wouldn't know what they are and would probably chuck them anyway.

They are the only Euro cylinder locks in the house. I have never seen keys with so many dips, notches and squiggles on them! Not cheap, what what price security?

We also have a Securitas wireless alarm fitted and on the couple of occasions when it has gone off, once by me being stupid, we got a call within a couple of minutes asking if all was well and to prove it I had to give the correct password to prove that I wasn't being held by some thug. Bad password and the police would have been sent, goodun and all's well. There is a lso a night setting where the doors are alarmed but the PIRs and cameras aren't on, so if anyone were to greak in it would set the alarm off. That would have stopped your thugs J!

When I was in the R.A.F. I had an old Ford prefect, 1149 cc side valve job, and I had a sign in the window that said

"Active anti theft device fitted. No responsibility for any injury incurred"

I was late for shift one day and parked where I shouldn't have. An hour or so later I had a message from the Snowdrops, R.A.F. police, telling me to come and move my car. They said that they weren't going to touch it when I got there and as they were corporals and I was a sergent they told me not to do it again. They never did find out what the alam was. It was a 120db siren fitted down near the drivers feet and if it went off with you in the car all you wanted to do was get out toot-sweet! Not only that, but if they did want the nice radio I had it would have been difficult with their fingers in thir ears :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

when i was younger i had a vw derby, it was a proper shed, only had it for a few months but it had the best anti theft device going, the gear stick could be pulled out, i let a mate borrow it once, he never asked to borrow it again,

We've just had a door fitted with Ultion locks: www.ultion-lock.co.uk.
Not cheap, but they claim to be the bees knees.
At the end of the day, plastic window and door frames and glass will never stop a determined thief.

....and never ever leave your keys on the hall table or downstairs at night - keep them in your bedroom. A few years ago an Eastern European gang were going around collecting cars off the driveway around here, straight into a container and on a ferry by the morning.

Duncan

dynax":1rn6ytp2 said:
when i was younger i had a vw derby, it was a proper shed, only had it for a few months but it had the best anti theft device going, the gear stick could be pulled out, i let a mate borrow it once, he never asked to borrow it again,

I used to borrow a five ton dumper from a friend - it also had an anti theft device. The steering wheel just lifted off - all very well if you took it off intentionally, but a bummer when it came of in your hands going around a corner. #-o :D

Back