the ones that didnt make it - june box attempt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
in order to encourage those just starting out, i thought i'd share with you my first attempts at this months challenge...
first attempt, maple branch, try colouring...not good!
PIC_0032.JPG

couldnt hollow very successfully, stain bled , and although top fitted it had rotated just so because the inner and outer radius' were slightly out from rechucking etc :oops:
next...
recycle candlestick entry :)

PIC_0028.JPG

cone shape jewellery box , could put rings on top, bracelets further down and stuff inside. didnt look right. try different lid,

PIC_0027.JPG

better but didnt fit too well,

PIC_0029.JPG

another lid - didnt like that one and then gave up that idea :(
back to the drawing board (hammer)

oops forgot one..
been saving nice blank (cocobolo?) for such a project, added birch ply centre ring, was looking good till a) went too deep and found screw holes #-o

PIC_0024.JPG

and b) when doing final finishing cuts on lid , had a catch and lid exploded :evil: so had to remake using the only other bit of wood i had of the right size which didnt really compliment or coordinate,

PIC_0023.JPG

so inlaid what remained of the exploded lid and added foot to try and unite them but...nah!

PIC_0025.JPG

so MK4 ...
completely different
entered for comp, will have to wait and see (but wont be clearing a space on the shelf for trophy just yet :lol: )

Attachments

• PIC_0032.JPG
    PIC_0032.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 489
  • PIC_0028.JPG
    PIC_0028.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 489
  • PIC_0027.JPG
    PIC_0027.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 489
  • PIC_0029.JPG
    PIC_0029.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 489
  • PIC_0024.JPG
    PIC_0024.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 483
  • PIC_0025.JPG
    PIC_0025.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 483
  • PIC_0023.JPG
    PIC_0023.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 483
Well done, I admire your perseverance and hope the MK4 worked out ok.
Practise make perfect and it looks like you’re getting plenty of practice.
Tony

Very impressed with your persistance to recover projects that don't work out as expected! (I do admit to having recovered a Jarrah box that broke almost in half when I was finishing the base - luckily I was able to glue it back together and use my button jaws and lots of tape to hold it all togther while the glue (Titebond III) dried, but the lid now is too loose.)

Shame about your coloured box, I like the look of that one. Stain bleeding is just *so* annoying - and unpredictable.

Look forward to seeing box MK4.

Latest posts

Back