The obsession continues.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crikey Chas,

Surely you are not running out of wood?????

Regards

Gary

PS - Nicely done sir! I am afraid I don't have the patience for that sort of work!

Taffy Turner":2p3ekqy2 said:
Crikey Chas,
Surely you are not running out of wood?????
No fear of that Gary :lol:

Taffy Turner":2p3ekqy2 said:
PS - Nicely done sir! I am afraid I don't have the patience for that sort of work!

Patience is not needed Gary, just sound wood, a steady hand and sharp tools, they only take a matter of minutes to do.

_________Another oddment out of the way:

_________ ___click on image for larger view
________________Yew (123mm)

Alf":1do6qq37 said:
CHJ":1do6qq37 said:
_________With all this lying around it can lead to a bit of over-enthusiasm :roll:

_________
Ah, Chas, there's nothing like efficient dust extraction, is there. And that's nothing like effici-... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf
how did you teach that sheep to turn bowls like that?

Alf":1t3xpook said:
Funny, I thought that was sycamore not yew... <grone>
Cheers, Alf

That back of yours has really gotten to you hasn't it :( very lame

BaaaaH!! humbug, I'm not playing anymore [-(

(who is stuck with ramshackle = decrepid = bad backs = getting older = wear Wooly Jumpers = ----- lets not go there just because it is ****** down with rain again here in Bavaria..)

_________The first of two bits of Sycamore that got a bit to dry whilst away for a few days and consequently very hard:

________________(210mm)

_________The second bit of Sycamore, certainly demanded sharp tools,
________________(217mm)

_________Had to use a spindle gouge with sharper bevel on the outside it was so hard, inside cut like butter with a sharp bowl gouge.

Figure appears at workshop door, with armful of wood off cuts and a small broken bowl:

'Hi, says I, switching off the noise makers',

Errrr, “I wonder if you could do me a favour”

'Sure what do you need?'

"Well this was part of a wedding anniversary present, and swmbo is not to happy"

I refrain from asking the obvious, as to who had modified the little bowl he proffered, to turn it into a 3D puzzle.

'Can you leave the bits as a pattern?'

"Not really swmbo would kill me if she new I had bothered you and she will be back shortly and will miss the bits."

So rapid juggling of bits takes place to get basic dimensions.

Only having completed the work in progress after he departed and mounting a suitable piece from his selection on the lathe do I catch on to the fact that it is probably IROKO, you know the one I may be violently allergic to.

So ensues a very rapid bit of spinning, hoovering up, a clothes dump in the laundry and a shower and I hr after he departed I leave message that I need to see him.

He arrives at the front door just as we are leaving to walk round floodlit Westonbirt.

It's amazing what a little bit of wood can do, he positively floated down our drive.

________________(105mm)

Nice piece,Chas - nice story,too (you must be nearly famous round your way :lol: )

Andrew

Arrived back from Bavaria this week to find an ancient piece of firewood on the doorstep with a plea to try and do something with it for 'memories reasons'?
On inspection it would appear that at some time in the past some vandal had sawn up a 300mm dia Walnut tree for firewood blocks.

Much difficulty trying to end grain hollow a very hard but rain wet hunk and the application of lashings of CA to hold the myriad of splits and cracks as we go, followed by judicious microwave drying we get left with this creation thoroughly soaked in oil and waxed, and sporting a generous selection of natural features.

________________(205mm)

_________Two more for the collection of Xmas visitor take aways I suspect.
_________ ___ ___click on images for larger view
_______________Cherry (110mm)______________Cherry (110mm)

Quenched the withdrawal symptoms now that the guests have returned home.

_______Coloured Beech & Pau Rosa (175mm)

Very nice :D - the pau rosa looks beautifully finished,is it easy to work ?

Andrew

PowerTool":19duewn6 said:
Very nice :D - the pau rosa looks beautifully finished,is it easy to work ?

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, The Pau Rosa turns easily, produces dust rather than shavings, like padauk it is a good indicator on how good your dust control is, very easy to get good finish with sharp tools.

The Pau Rosa that I have tends to be second grade outer slabs from Yandles, these have pale sapwood which mainly gets turned off when making lids & does contain small fissures in my samples but low viscosity CA glue or even a soak in cellulose sanding sealer fixes those.

That lid was sanded 120 to 240 and then NyWeb, undiluted sanding sealer, burnished to dry and harden, de-nibbed with fine Nyweb and polished with WoodWax22. Whole process 3min tops.

______________Last one this year.

___________Sweet Chestnut (273mm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back