The new Excalibur 2014 scroll saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Just about to make the order for a hegner hm-sev, got a good(ish) deal set with hegner, just have to press the button.. BUT i came across this new Excalibur 2014 model http://www.general.ca/products/2_excalibur/EX-21.html

Anyone seen one in action, any ideas when they are out in the uk? called axminster and i may as well be speaking in some kind of alien language!

cheers all

Jmac80":14wqaoxb said:
Hello all
Just about to make the order for a hegner hm-sev, got a good(ish) deal set with hegner, just have to press the button.. BUT i came across this new Excalibur 2014 model http://www.general.ca/products/2_excalibur/EX-21.html

Anyone seen one in action, any ideas when they are out in the uk? called axminster and i may as well be speaking in some kind of alien language!

cheers all

My advice FWIW is go ahead and buy the Hegner! You will most definitely find the Hegner excellent and satisfying to use whereas the Excaliburs quality or excellence is unknown.

I have no experience of Excalibur saws other than what I have read but what I have read about them has not been positive, at least with a Hegner you do know that it will be excellent!

Just hit that button and become another satisfied Hegner user! :)

scrimper":3hozu9hg said:
Jmac80":3hozu9hg said:
Hello all

cheers all

My advice FWIW is go ahead and buy the Hegner! You will most definitely find the Hegner excellent and satisfying to use whereas the Excaliburs quality or excellence is unknown.

I have no experience of Excalibur saws other than what I have read but what I have read about them has not been positive, at least with a Hegner you do know that it will be excellent!

Just hit that button and become another satisfied Hegner user! :)

That's about all the convincing i needed lol!
I was doing a read about there.. seems the Excalibur customers are 50 / 50 where as the hegner ones are 99.9% for it!

JUST ORDERED (hammer) =D> :lol:

HM-SEV Hegner Multicut SE Scrollsaw Variable Speed 230v 100w
F001 Footswitch for Hegner Scrollsaws
HM2023C/H5egner Blade Clamp 0.5mm 2

Jmac80":2r3er99x said:

Oh No! You should not have ordered that!!

Lol just kidding, you will absolutely love it, I kid you not when I first had my Hegner I could not walk past it without having a little go on the thing and eah time I found it so pleasing at how smooth running it was, even now many years later I still get a happy buzz when I use it! :)

scrimper":1dhvafx2 said:
Jmac80":1dhvafx2 said:

Oh No! You should not have ordered that!!

Lol just kidding, you will absolutely love it, I kid you not when I first had my Hegner I could not walk past it without having a little go on the thing and eah time I found it so pleasing at how smooth running it was, even now many years later I still get a happy buzz when I use it! :)

:mrgreen: Thanks mate
Very excited now! And best of all the Mrs paid for half of it as i will be cutting 1.5mm thick aluminium for her with it.... for her jewellery shapes :)

Jmac80":2ykz7zvi said:

You have made a sound choice.
I am certain you will be very happy with your purchase.

Happy scroll sawing.

Chris R.

Jmac80":3av0zanj said:
I was doing a read about there.. seems the Excalibur customers are 50 / 50 where as the hegner ones are 99.9% for it!

Sounds interesting Jmac80.
Could you please post the link to where you read that ?

Scrollerman":sh448ykj said:
Jmac80":sh448ykj said:

Sounds interesting Jmac80.
Could you please post the link to where you read that ?
Hi Scrollerman
this is the conclusion I myself have come to from doing forum searches on this forum.
I'm not trying to get into a ford Vs Chevi style debate :)
The conclusion i came to is that just about everyone that has a hegner is very happy with it and lots of reports of them lasting many many years and not needing even 1 part changes, Where as the Excalibur and particularly the one for the UK market has a few threads where people have had to return them etc etc.
So just my own opinion of the conclusion i came too :)

cheers James

Welcome James , I think you have made the right choice ,a few on here have had the Excaliber and posted negative reports on it. It seems the one for the US is a better saw than the one sold over here .

Good luck with your new saw when you get it and post plenty of pictures of your work .

boysie39":34nz7az2 said:
Welcome James , I think you have made the right choice ,a few on here have had the Excaliber and posted negative reports on it. It seems the one for the US is a better saw than the one sold over here .

Good luck with your new saw when you get it and post plenty of pictures of your work .

Thanks Eugene
Look forward to becoming part of the community. :)

When I was thinking about scroll saws the special thing about the Excaliber was that the blade arm tilted for angled cuts rather than the table. This always sounded like a good idea to me but I have not actually used one.

Grahamshed":jh9vuleo said:
When I was thinking about scroll saws the special thing about the Excaliber was that the blade arm tilted for angled cuts rather than the table. This always sounded like a good idea to me but I have not actually used one.

Graham.

I agree the tilting arm as apposed to the table tilting has to be a better way of cutting at an angle.

I find that when I tilt my Hegner table to cut angled rounds for bowl making, I have to do some practice cutting first, as I find that my brain is saying turn the work piece in one direction, but my hands are hell bent in turning in the opposite direction.
Or maybe its just my screwed up brain. #-o

Take care.

Chris R.

you could make a tilting scroll saw stand lol.....
tilt the table of hegner then tilt your stand to set the hegner table back flat so the blade and machine is at an angle (hegner bolted down)...

Disclaimer** i may be talking complete rubbish as I've never used a scroll saw or even seen one in the flesh lol

Jmac80":5f9wstq6 said:
tilt the table of hegner then tilt your stand to set the hegner table back flat so the blade and machine is at an angle (hegner bolted down)...

Disclaimer** i may be talking complete rubbish as I've never used a scroll saw or even seen one in the flesh lol
This idea is not as Daft as it sounds :idea:

Jmac80":1luw6k6p said:

No, I follow your drift, I think you may have a sound idea there.

When I first read your post, I thought what a load of c**p, but after thinking it through it would be a means to an end.
I don’t intend doing it, but thanks for the idea. :idea:

Take care.

Chris R.

Geoffrey":329jggdk said:
Jmac80":329jggdk said:

This idea is not as Daft as it sounds :idea:
good! lol
could even rip an old table saw apart to take out the tilt gearing and winding handle etc ... getting carried away now! :)

Back