The neverending Table Saw decision

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emstuv

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

This is my first post, I have been lurking in here a short while and I am amazed at some of the projects I find the Projects Thread. I've been using the search function to the best of my ability.

I am in the process of remodeling a house from 1925 in Norway (I am using the term remodeling loosely as I will engage professionals for the larger tasks). However I am considering picking up a table saw to aid in the process. I have a TS55 that will be used for ripping up plates if it comes to that, but I figure that the table saw will come in very handy for other tasks that require narrower pieces to be cut; i.e. "adding" wood around windows to make flush with wall (dont know the English term for this).

Secondly, now that I have a garage that doesn't fit my car, I have a workshop and can dabble in woodworking. Thereby I figures a tool that will allow for some accuracy after being tuned/modified. Unfortunately I am an engineer by trade and therefore cursed with the millimeter accuracy.

I am fairly open to ideas, but would like to limit the space it takes. I have no need for a large saw, and have therefore been looking at the smaller portable/semi-portable versions.

The ones I have looked at are :

- DW745 (appears to have the std. mitre slots of 3/4" by 3/8", and I can then add a more accurate gauge and fence).
- Bosch 10XC (looks nice, but I can't find information on the mitre slots).
- AxM TS-200-2 (seems a nice saw that many use after some modifications).
- CS50 (this is a tricky one as all the addons make it ridiculously expensive - so currently this is only me dreaming).

Criteria:

- Modifiable (if thats even a word), ref. Mitre gauge/fence, maybe Incra (or similar) ripping fence.
- Accurate enough (the engineer is cringing......."enough")
- Smallish (will be placed in a dedicated bench/table on wheels that I have yet to make)
- Budget, upto £800 (including Norwegian VAT and shipping). I believe UK VAT is 19%, Norwegian 25%.

Advantages of Universal vs. Induction? I believe the TS-200-2 has an induction motor.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You might one to stay away from site style saws you mentioned if your engineer style accuracy is your expectation.

Something with a cast iron top and a decent fence will be top of the list I think if weight isn't a factor.

Induction motors are quieter, larger, smoother, and typically more suited to workshop style machines rather than portable power tools.

I am unwillingly willing to adjust my expectations of accuracy on the saw.

Have a look at the Sheppach TS82 at 600 quid, I got one from Screwfix a couple of months or so ago and am very pleased with it.

Lovely thick cast table, really easy smooth mechanism up and down, good solid fence (only secures at front end but still pretty darn firm).

The sliding cross-cut assembly works very well but needs speace around it, which I don't have. I just use the saw itself built into a larger MDF table, it takes up about 30% of my floor space as it is and I prefer sleds but had no problems wih the supplied slider, very stable once you get it level and slightly proud of the table.

Setup all possible with just 2 hands, the main problem is you build it upside down then turn it over, but with a sturdy stool and a bit of head scratching I got it on its side, then on it's feet OK and I'm not a big chap.

My only complaint was one of the mitre slots had a bit of, err, casting ooze in one spot - the mitre rail thing didn't run smoothly over that bit but 30 seconds with a file smoothed it off, it slides nicely now.

One of the main features that swung it for me was the induction motor, now my table saw is one of the quietest power tools I have, I can leave it humming away between cuts without cringing at the noise (I turn the vac off, that's much louder !)

It comes as a 55kg plywood box with the main lump strapped to a pallet, with a 30kg cardboard one on the side, in case that's an issue.

I used the supplied stand befoe I built my table surround, very solid, bit of a space waster though, it's a decent volume but you can't open it up when it's upright - I was thinking to put a cyclone unit in there.

I bought a smaller Sheppach one initially but there was a problem with the motor, the engineer on the help line was great, walked me though checking this and that etc., not just a box shifting operation, they do have expertise you can talk to / send videos to if there's a problem.

As soon as it was obvious it was a problem with the machine and not my setup, they sent a guy to collect and refunded as soon as it arrived a couple of days later, no quibble.

This is the UK distributor so ymmv... might be cheaper for you over there direct from Germany.

2 year warranty too.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-ts ... tid=269878

sickasapike":3tzxwgoc said:
Have a look at the Sheppach TS82 at 600 quid, I got one from Screwfix a couple of months or so ago and am very pleased with it.

Lovely thick cast table, really easy smooth mechanism up and down, good solid fence (only secures at front end but still pretty darn firm).

The sliding cross-cut assembly works very well but I just use the saw itself built into a larger MDF table, it take up about 30% of my floor space as it is and I prefer sleds but had no problems wih the supplied slider, very stable once you get it level and slghtly proud of the table.

Setup all possible with just 2 hands.

My only complaint was one of the mitre slots had a bit of, err, casting ooze in one spot - the mitre rail thing didn't run smoothly over that bit but 30 seconds with a file smoothed it off, it slides nicely now.

One of the main features that swung it for me was the induction motor, now my table saw is one of the quietest power tools I have, I can leave it humming away between cuts without cringing at the noise (I turn the vac off, that's much louder !)

It comes as a 55kg plywood box with the main lump strapped to a pallet, with a 30kg cardboard one on the side, in case that's an issue.

I used the supplied stand befoe I built my table surround, very solid, bit of a space waster though, it's a decent volume but you can't open it up when it's upright - I was thinking to put a cyclone unit in there.

I bought a smaller Sheppach one initially but there was a problem with the motor, the engineer on the help line was great, walked me though checking this and that etc., not just a box shifting operation, they do have expertise you can talk to / send videos to if there's a problem.

As soon as it was obvious it was a problem with the machine and not my setup, they sent a guy to collect and refunded as soon as it arrived a couple of days later, no quibble.

2 year warranty too.

Just thought I'd mention that the charnwood verison of that saw has an upgraded fence which may be of interest as it is very likley to also fit your saw

https://www.charnwood.net/product-searc ... _pathway-2

transatlantic":1i188u3i said:
Just thought I'd mention that the charnwood verison of that saw has an upgraded fence which may be of interest as it is very likley to also fit your saw
Wow, that looks great, thanks very much - pretty happy with mine, though there is a bit of squinting lining up the side of the clamp bit with the ruler, this one looks much easier to eyeball, and just 60 quid.... hmm..

It does look identical to my saw, I'll email to check it fits to the same bolt holes, looks like it does though, same crossection style on the standard rail in the photo.

Cheers :)

May I recommend the big brother of the DeWalt 745, the DeWalt 7491.

It's portable, superbly well made, really accurate and easy to use rack and pinion fence, very good dust extraction via underneath and via the crown guard.

I absolutely love it, my fave tool. Only negatives: mitre slot is a little sloppy and as it's not an induction motor it's very noisy.

I got mine for £699 a few months ago on Amazon so it may fit your budget.

Ok the other Dewalt looks nice.

The Scheppach and Charnwood look very nice, like the idea of a cast iron top.

Shipping may be an issue with weights approaching 100kg. And especially if the tool breaks.......

Emstuv":18h536qj said:
Shipping may be an issue with weights approaching 100kg. And especially if the tool breaks......
I had a couple of guys on standby on the day it arrived as I have a flight of stone steps and a garden to negotiate on the way but I got the 55kg box strapped to a washing machine/fridge trolley and eased it down and across with the driver's help, didn't need to call them in the end.

sickasapike":1rht5r0u said:
Emstuv":1rht5r0u said:
Shipping may be an issue with weights approaching 100kg. And especially if the tool breaks......
I had a couple of guys on standby on the day it arrived as I have a flight of stone steps and a garden to negotiate on the way but I got the 55kg box strapped to a washing machine/fridge trolley and eased it down and across with the driver's help, didn't need to call them in the end.

I'm guessing he means the whole Norway thing :p

transatlantic":2iwqh3gc said:
sickasapike":2iwqh3gc said:
Emstuv":2iwqh3gc said:

I'm guessing he means the whole Norway thing :p
It's a German company, I was thinking it might be cheaper to get one there; I see what you mean though, I did misunderstand.

Even with expensive shipping, there is still almost (and sometimes more) 50% savings on tools and accessories.

Especially some of the premium brands with green on them.....

sickasapike":uqzcdh4b said:

The sliding cross-cut assembly works very well but needs speace around it, which I don't have. I just use the saw itself built into a larger MDF table, it takes up about 30% of my floor space as it is and I prefer sleds but had no problems wih the supplied slider, very stable once you get it level and slightly proud of the table.

Setup all possible with just 2 hands, the main problem is you build it upside down then turn it over, but with a sturdy stool and a bit of head scratching I got it on its side, then on it's feet OK and I'm not a big chap.

This is the UK distributor so ymmv... might be cheaper for you over there direct from Germany.

2 year warranty too.

What made you go for this over the cheaper TS200? They are essentially, very similar, ts200 mk2 possibly with the better fence...

transatlantic":ztv3ai5o said:
sickasapike":ztv3ai5o said:

The sliding cross-cut assembly works very well but I just use the saw itself built into a larger MDF table, it take up about 30% of my floor space as it is and I prefer sleds but had no problems wih the supplied slider, very stable once you get it level and slghtly proud of the table.

Setup all possible with just 2 hands.

2 year warranty too.

https://www.charnwood.net/product-searc ... _pathway-2

Interesting. Looks identical to the TS200mk2 fence, except it comes as standard there...:)

Have a look at this thread: axminster-ts250-2-modifications-t102284.html the TS200 and TS250 are essentially the same, except for a larger motor, larger blade hence a deeper cut, the thing about both of the sliding table versions is that the mitre gauge/slots become redundant, the mitre slide table and fence can be set up as accurately as you can make it, towards the end of the 10 or so pages their was a chap from Norway who had a problem with his TS250, but we managed to get it resolved between he and I, the first few pages of the thread have most of the information on the saw, the remaining pages just repeat some of the information.

Mike

Bodgers":1kom5q71 said:
What made you go for this over the cheaper TS200? They are essentially, very similar, ts200 mk2 possibly with the better fence...
Ignorance mainly... damn, I wasn't on here at the time - looks very similar... nicer even.. and no need to store 20kg of steel and aluminium stand and slider I don't use !

I chose from half a dozen web sites like Screwfix, Machine Mart, Toolstation etc and don't remember seeing any Axminster saws. I went for a Sheppach 350 quid model initially, which turned out to have a faulty motor (was still quieter than my budget Titan one !). I returned it for a refund and got paid at the same time so nudged the budget up a bit and rather decided in a hurry, I'd already lost a week building one saw up, half building a table round it, then dismantling and packign it etc !

The TS82 was the only one I found with a proper cast table, induction motor and decent rip width with the existing fence setup (I replaced/extended the side extension with a pair of big 25mm mdf slabs, using the supplied rail) - the quiet motor is a big factor for me, my workshop is at the end of a garden, so I'm quite near a few other gardens and not so far from a few patio doors - don't want to annoy anyone or attract attention to the tools within.

sickasapike":3owjj55w said:
transatlantic":3owjj55w said:
Wow, that looks great, thanks very much - pretty happy with mine, though there is a bit of squinting lining up the side of the clamp bit with the ruler, this one looks much easier to eyeball, and just 60 quid.... hmm..

It does look identical to my saw, I'll email to check it fits to the same bolt holes, looks like it does though, same crossection style on the standard rail in the photo.

Cheers :)

Can't tell from the photo's if the upgrade fence has a back rail and bearing to hold the fence solidly in position, also can't see any micro adjuster, the RH side extension table for the TS200 and TS250 comes with these additional aids, although I think the TS 200 does not have the micro adjuster.

Mike

I have read a lot about the Axminster TS 200-2 and the 250-2, the reviews are a bit of a mixed bag as some love it and others don't. But it definately looks like a capable compact saw.

Does the TS-200/250 use a standard mitre slot?

I found the TS82 in Norway at almost 2x the price. Converted : 1060,- Looks nice though.

Emstuv":1gcu8dyj said:
I have read a lot about the Axminster TS 200-2 and the 250-2, the reviews are a bit of a mixed bag as some love it and others don't. But it definately looks like a capable compact saw.

Does the TS-200/250 use a standard mitre slot?

I found the TS82 in Norway at almost 2x the price. Converted : 1060,- Looks nice though.
It depends on what you mean by standard. If you mean the US 3/4", then no. Details and pdf manuals are on the Axminster site

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Emstuv":3sm7h7ag said:
Hi all.

- Bosch 10XC (looks nice, but I can't find information on the mitre slots).

Criteria:

- Modifiable (if thats even a word), ref. Mitre gauge/fence, maybe Incra (or similar) ripping fence.
- Accurate enough (the engineer is cringing......."enough")
- Smallish (will be placed in a dedicated bench/table on wheels that I have yet to make)
- Budget, upto £800 (including Norwegian VAT and shipping). I believe UK VAT is 19%, Norwegian 25%.

I Have the Bosch as my home hobby saw (the big saws at work) its a great bit of kit IMO, and was perfectly setup out of the box (never had that with any saw before).

but its slots are not standard & i would not say its massively modifiable, uses it as it is & i think it beats all the competition for the same size machine, have tried most of them when i was retooling my work shop & moving from a big wadkin to a smaller foot print machine.

Back