That dreaded question again.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbydazzler

Reaction score
......yup....which bandsaw should I buy??

I've scoured t'internet (and perused the relevant forum sub sections here and elsewhere) and am still unsure :(

I won't bore you with the details, but after a mentally scarring experience this time last year with a brand named after the objective of '...the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable' I ended up with a little Sheppach bas1 for £36....and it was a revelation! What a little beauty :)

But, suffice to say, it's fast becoming too limiting (although it's a 'keeper'...if the motor last's) so the hunt is on again :(

With regard to my requirements I think I've narrowed my choice down to two (not allowed to put in links yet)....

Axminster HBS310N

Makita LB1200F

....trouble is, although that Makita sees to have the edge on spec. (bigger motor @ 900w for instance) it's very hard to find much information about it (e.g user reviews), I DO know I hold Makita in pretty high regard as everything I've owned/used by them I've found to have been really nice.....with the caveat that it's always been oldish stuff. Has their reputation deteriorated over the last 5 years or so?

The Axminster is pretty much well known so I need experience guys 'n gals!!

Any advice would be most appreciated, thank you.

Nobody seems to have any knowledge of that Makita?

On spec it beats the Axminster saw....rack and pinion table adjustment, more powerful motor, integrated wheel kit on stand to name a few.....it looks a really nice saw for the price (oh, and it's £40 cheaper).

I mostly cut 10 -25mm softwood, some 18mm ply and the occasional 4" blocks for finial turning (plus want to try some bandsaw boxes, a little bit of mild resawing for veneers etc.).

I think my mind's made up on the Makita, now the only question is the quality of any possible after sales support from the supplier :( (after my nightmare last year with three 'Fox' bandsaws I'm verging on the paranoia re. purchasing anything like this!!)

'FFX.co.uk' are selling it for £469 inclusive of vat and delivery.....anyone used this company before? Was there any requirement for support, and if so how were they??

Axminster seem to have a pretty good reputation for looking after you if anything goes wrong.....but I really don't want that fact to be the deciding factor in my choice.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hi Buddy,

I found this http://www.routerforums.com/tools-woodw ... pics/48134

And this

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... 4-Bandsaws

Not sure if that helps but it might lol.

My 2 cents, I would go record over Axminster. Ax are great and the service is spanking but the few big purchases I've had off of them haven't worked out that well, damaged products arriving and then taking a good few days to get sorted, dust extractor died and sent it back to them last Tuesday and they still haven't even looked at it yet, but in their defence they have been great when I've rung them but I kind of feel like I shouldn't have to...The tools should just work and thats the end of it...know what I mean? Have you thought about record, you seem to get a little more for your money and they feel like great build quality. Ax have got a great following on here though, Apologies for chucking another one into the mix haha!!

Had an Axminster 350n bandsaw for many years. No problems either initially or since.

Hey thanks Tugalis....yup, saw those links already but thx anyway!

Just recently bought a Record Power bench grinder for sharpening some woodturning chisels...and well....I hope I don't sound too 'picky' but it don't blow my socks off as such :(

Sure it does the job but there was a little refining required to say the least, overall not too impressed....it's functional I suppose. That's not to say their bandsaws continue in the same vein! I have read some good reviews of them.

But hey, thanks for adding to my consternation's! ;)

Thank you RogerP.....does that Makita look to you like it would fair well against the 350N??

EDIT - Opps just noticed Roger, I'm looking at the 310N not the 350N.

Overall the Makita is a size smaller machine and the maximum cutting height is 165mm compared with 210mm for the Axi 350n.

Back