Ted's woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing adverts and links for ted's woodworking cd/dvd containing plans etc.

I presume it's just a collection of of plans gleened from the Internet, but thought I'd ask if anyone here had tried it?

There are several "compilations" about. In all the cases of which I am aware, the person selling to stuff does not own the intellectual property contained therein. Just because it was once published in a book or magazine or otherwise, it doesn't mean that it is "free" for public use.
Of course, I, and other writers and contributors on this forum and similar have a personal interest in such matters. At one time I would not have seen anything wrong in buying a set of plans. But once you start to be the creator of intellectual property, and rely on for your livelihood, you take a different view.
When people take something they do not own we call it theft, and IP is no different to anything else that one owns. Car, tools, jewellery, anything.
For some reason, presumably because it is intangible, IP is not valued in the same way as, say, a tool kit, or a car. There are some people, and I'm glad you are not one of them, who would not dream of stealing someone's tools which would help them to do a job, but who would think it fair game to download a PDF that would help them to do a job.
Those of us who have only IP to offer the world find this situation very frustrating!
I don't have an answer to the problem, but if you do, I'm all ears.

Steve I agree 100%. I find it interesting that people assume that just because it's been published in a public place it makes it free for everyone.

With regards to protecting IP, obviously you have legal protection but the reality is that this is almost impossible to implement unless it's a sizeable business that has stolen something of yours and it's not worth the effort. If you think about music, There used to be a huge problem with with copyrighted material being downloaded and stolen, Apple have pretty much solved that now by making music so cheap (especially with their subscription) that there is no point in going to the hassle of stealing it. I think that's the only realistic answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has happened to me in the past.

I co-wrote and pubiished a book, of interest to cavers and other underground explorers. The centrepiece was a full-colour map, including both surface and underground features. It was (is!) unique, and needed many hours of work in research and drawing, and the purchase of an Ordnance Survey licence for the surface data used. The profits were going to our caving club (to bring youngsters into the sport), and the book had a lottery-funded grant.

So imagine my frustration that, within a few months of publication, the map (or a painfully bad scan of it) turned up on an urbex web site with no attribution nor link to the book on Amazon. Polite emails were ignored, then treated rudely.

Eventually I got it taken down, but ironically we got a bad name for objecting, and I'm sure it hurt our sales.

Things with no price usually have no value. Open source software, etc., is a different matter, as it's done consciously and by choice.

And why shouldn't the creators of useful things be able to choose who has them and how much is paid? We wouldn't give furniture away, unless we wanted to...

E.

Had one of these idiots post on my Facebook business page last week. Free plans dot com or something. Deleted and banned them straight away.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

chippy1970":8mnq058h said:
Had one of these idiots post on my Facebook business page last week. Free plans dot com or something. Deleted and banned them straight away.

I had exactly the same thing too. [ANGRY FACE]

Just as I thought.
Out of curiosity I downloaded the free "sample" pdf's. Presumably to peak a persons interest.

Well, if doing it to raise interest you would think the best would be included to make the full bundle seem appealing wouldn't you? At least I would.

They were mostly rubbish or items I've seen in magazines/books. Some "plans" were about two paragraphs of writing while others were blatant rip-offs.

For anyone wanting plans, there are many free ones available, with the appropriate permissions, as well as paid for ones and books/magazines. I'd rather pay for one good one than all of the rubbish in that will likely be in that bundle. And that's not taking into account the fact he is ripping of other peoples property.

Today, someone has posted on one of my YT videos that he had bought the plans on ********.com and "builded it for very little money" (sic). Fortunately I have changed my prefs so that every comment needs to be moderated. I reported it as being spam, as I certainly don't want my channel to be used for the promotion of such activity. It's sad that people who deserve to benefit from their work are denied that benefit.

The answer is education, so threads like this one are welcome.

S

Back