Tea/Coffee

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beganasatree

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folk,
I have been asked by my sister to make some tree slice coasters (branch).I have some Laburnum that I could cut and use for this,but I am unsure of what is the most suitable finish to use for this as they will have to take the heat from a tea/coffee cup.ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Peter.

I've not made any, but Danish oil on our oak worktop is easily up to hot drinks, (plus it can be reapplied if required over time). It will darken the wood somewhat.

If you prefer a 'barrier' type approach, I'm pretty sure Chestnut Finishes do a melamine / such like that can even be used inside liquid holding vessels.

An interior varnish should do the job fine. Although you can check your tins to see if there's specific reassurance about heat or water resistance most varnishes will hold up to this level of either (or both). Since this is end grain you may want to apply a few more coats than normal.

Fiddes Hardware Oil is very resistant to coffee/tea/alcohol. I used it on a yew desk for my son (see Projects) and after four years solid use it is unmarked. And he is rarely without one of the above on his desk!

Keith

I've been impressed with the osmo polyX semi Matt stuff on our dining table taking hot cups and red wine etc

Back