Taming Turnings in 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":2z8qghs3 said:
________A few more bits rounded up,
________Beech segments presented End Grain to try and get a bit more figuring.

________Not something I shall do lightly in future, makes finish cutting, especially the inside a little difficult.

________
________

________________Walnut & Beech________________135mm dia.

Hi Chas

This is a nice effect and piece. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been as I have never tried segmented work.

Thanks Mark, very much a learning curve for me, trying to get subtle shading without the fairground raz sometimes seen. Main thing with closed segments is to get the angles spot on and glue edges square to each other. The only challenge from the turning is to get ring joints flat and tool control on differing wood densities can be interesting, especially when it leaves a lot to be desired in 'normal' turning anyway.

cornucopia":2i59rw9u said:
Brillant Chas- i think that pau rosa is a member of the rosewood family-if so you can certainly see the cocobolo likenes
Yes I think it is Swartzia spp. George, perhaps Swartzia madagascariensis & Swartzia fistuloides, unfortunately stockists use of generic names like Pau Rosa, ( Portugese for “rosewood") make exact identification difficult, especially if the same business handles imports from central-south america as well.

_______Royal Worcester Recovery

_______"Any chance you can do anything with this in the way of making a top thingy?"
_______

_______ __ __

________I think it looks somewhat similar to how it must have left the factory.

________

I thought for a minute you had started doing decorative work until I read the text Chas. Nice reclamation work. Looks good.

pete

Paul.J":2fkie49k said:
No doubt it is now better than it was originally
Funny you should say that, apparently the start of the rot that lead to the person loosing the bits was that the 'drive disc' (square holed washer) was held in with pins that worked loose and fell out.

My version uses 1/4" C/S brass screws.

Wouldn't like to try and replace the grinder unit, it's bonded in with epoxy by the looks of it.

________Little more pottering,

________
________
_____________Ash and Laburnum____________85mm dia.

CHJ":3kilw51w said:
CHJ":3kilw51w said:
________A little something for local Cancer support fund raising.
________
________ ________ raised £112 :shock:

Chas, thats absolutely beautiful.
And a fantastic result on the charity raising, into the bargain.

The platter is truly stunning.. you must have been really pleased with that... its gorgeous. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

________A tentative dip into Petes world.

________
________
________________Hazel Burr________________180mm m/dia.

________
________
______________Spalted Beech______________180mm m/dia.

Oh dear does this mean I am going to have start laminating all my scrap wood? :lol:

They all look good Chas, nice to see the bark stayed intact

pete

Bodrighy":2lu9252t said:
Oh dear does this mean I am going to have start laminating all my scrap wood? :lol:

I should resist the urge Pete, I doubt I'll spoil your pitch on the rustic front and the segment stuff is a pain too far for someone trying to earn a crust.

Bodrighy":2lu9252t said:
They all look good Chas, nice to see the bark stayed intact
pete
Seems no logic on the bark security front, most of my Beech which has thin sound bark has shed it during drying, scruffy bits of burr, fruit wood and others with thick spongy stuff that looks as though it will let go as soon as you look at it, has stayed firm. Wonder if the time of year it's harvested has any bearing?

Latest posts

Back