Taking Advantage of the Current Euro Weakness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shed9":3lqz946f said:
James-1986":3lqz946f said:
DIctum do lie nielsen tools. I picked up a 4 1/2 for £250.

Tried ordering from them yesterday but their online system has a weird way of inputting your address as it expects the usual german format. Can I ask how you go round this?

I bought from them recently and did not find a problem.

Jeez Oh, with all the purchasing from forum members over the past couple of days DS will be wringing his hands with glee.

Just goes to show how we are still being overcharged in the UK.

I bought a LV standard block plane, listed on the DS site at 147 Euro (£108). Best I could find in the UK was £170.

I did spend a considerable sum on other items. I reckon I saved over £300 on UK prices. The only additional costings were the 12 Euros (£8) shipping charges.

Good luck

David

themackay":3js5ryqp said:
shed9":3js5ryqp said:
James-1986":3js5ryqp said:
DIctum do lie nielsen tools. I picked up a 4 1/2 for £250.

Tried ordering from them yesterday but their online system has a weird way of inputting your address as it expects the usual german format. Can I ask how you go round this?

I bought from them recently and did not find a problem.

Thanks themackay, I'll try again.

Bluekingfisher":o06nwnpt said:

I'm not so sure. I think the price differential is down to a significant and fast collapse in the the Euro versus the pound sterling, but the Euro has fallen even further against the US dollar, so when Continental retailers have to replace their LN stock they'll be paying a much higher price. So...get it while the getting's good!

are there any good palces for power tools from the EU? (not fussed about changing a plug if it saves some cash :) )

I almost never buy tools new, but I ordered a few things from Dieter Schmid Fine Tools. Dictum had the same at the same price but I went with Fine Tools because it's got a better website with lots of info about the tools.

custard":35ufldgd said:
Bluekingfisher":35ufldgd said:

I'm not so sure. I think the price differential is down to a significant and fast collapse in the the Euro versus the pound sterling, but the Euro has fallen even further against the US dollar, so when Continental retailers have to replace their LN stock they'll be paying a much higher price. So...get it while the getting's good!

There was thread on how it's much cheaper to order direct from Veritas, so the UK importer and retailers do bump up the price quite a bit.

lee-valley-veritas-t83712.html

I received my order yesterday so just 7 days wait, Even found a little pack of sweets tucked into my order.

Very impressed with Fine tools. Would definately buy from again. Thanks again to the origional poster for posting this.

Ransoman":e83l5p96 said:
Even found a little pack of sweets tucked into my order.

Very impressed with Fine tools. Would definately buy from again.

+1

Received my order with a small packet of Haribo. :D

I've used DS for a while and find their prices and service very competitive. They regularly undercut UK retailers on Veritas gear, so don't think it's just the current Euro weakness making their prices attractive.

Great service from DS Fine Tools. My shooting board plane was delivered as advertised, on time. Will undoubtedly use them again.

Bonus pack of Haribo sweets also included too ... a nice touch.

Interesting update on this thread which I suspect is useful for people following it.

I used Dictum to order some planes a few weeks back. First order was faultless and couldn't have been happier. However I can't say the same for my repeat business, anyone else having issues with Dictum at the moment???? Any one placed a successful order in the last week?

Would appreciate any feedback.

EDIT: Just for clarity for those who don't know, Dictum is not connected to DS Fine Tools. To add to the previous comments, I too use DS a fair bit and cannot fault them; customer service, communication and end product are just superb.

I placed an order a couple of weeks ago and aside from no notification that the items had shipped, they arrived without incident about 5 working days after.

Ed Bray":3p5vfpte said:
I placed an order a couple of weeks ago and aside from no notification that the items had shipped, they arrived without incident about 5 working days after.

Thanks for the response Ed. My initial order was a few weeks back and the same occurred, apart from a lack of notification, everything was okay. Incidentally they advised then that the delivery update process was being worked on.

My issue is based on this last week and my most recent order. They updated their website and I've had no end of fun.

You may want to see if your login details are the same or if your account has now been deleted :wink: I hope I'm wrong but based on my experience I suspect possibly not.

Back