table saw query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philg

Established Member
Reaction score
When starting my tablesaw ( the Fox cast iron one) the blade usually needs a nudge to get it going, does anybody have the same problem. When you spin the blade by hand it runs freely and nothing is caught or sticking underneath - any idea's ??? Great site by the way

philg":31lkpynv said:
When starting my tablesaw ( the Fox cast iron one) the blade usually needs a nudge to get it going, does anybody have the same problem. When you spin the blade by hand it runs freely and nothing is caught or sticking underneath - any idea's ??? Great site by the way

Umm, not too sure I would be 'nudging' a blade with the motor started. :shock: What are you nudging it with?

Welcome to the forum by the way. :D Sorry, I just had visions of a tablesaw covered in the red stuff.

As to your question. Is it possible the belt is loose?

Brad

Is it possible it's not able to draw enough current to start from your supply to the workshop! I only mention this as I have just asked about a compressor with the same problem and it looks like it's going to cost me some bigger armoured cable!

Martin.

As already suggested low voltage due to inadequate feed, or starter capacitor failure which I believe is quite common in taiwanese motors, their weak spot.

Cheers Alan

Mine's a bit like that. The belt is a bit sticky so first start of the day I turn the blade by hand and then start the saw and it runs up fine. Usually no probs after that.

I might have a supply problem too I suppose. Keep meaning to get a linked belt and try it

Cheers

with my saw when i didnt have a motor mcb (type c 16 amp i think) the saw just tripped spun a little then tripped. sounds like something else. maybe capaicitor. if saw doesnt trip and try to spin up to speed.

Thanks for the welcome, the nudge in question is carried out with a very long piece of wood, i'm thinking it could be the supply because my extractor is constantly blowing the 13A fuse although the table saw doesn't. If it was the capacitor would this only affect getting the blade started because when its running at full speed it's fine.

philg":luls57mx said:
Thanks for the welcome, the nudge in question is carried out with a very long piece of wood, i'm thinking it could be the supply because my extractor is constantly blowing the 13A fuse although the table saw doesn't. If it was the capacitor would this only affect getting the blade started because when its running at full speed it's fine.

It would work exactly like that as the Capacitor is known also as a "starter". With Single Phase induction motors there is no natural field movement as with 3 phase to start the motor from any position. Therefore various techniques can be used to get the motor moving. A capacitor is one such method. Sometimes the capacitor can be changed on larger motors but on others is can require a motor rebuild.

thanks for the help everyone, a new capacitor is on its way from Fox, i was lucky though only 4 days left on the guarantee

Back