suitable wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmurph

Reaction score
as a real novice are there any trees not suitable for turning, I am fairly rural so I can get "fresh wood" but I do not recognise the species, I have read and have a little understanding of green wood but it would be pointless storing if it was to be useless at the end.

Thank you

ideally, avoid softwood- pine, conifers etc. There are exceptions and it can be turned, but as a beginner it is hard work to get a reasonable finish. Buy a simple book and try to identify the species, because it will help you to gain knowledge, and understand how best to dry the timber- any likely problems etc.

That's not strictly correct - I've seen some stunning turnery from Leylandii, Macrocarpa, Chile pine and even larch. Ordinary spruce, fir and pine won't get you far, however. Don't waste your time practicing on rubbish, it's soul destroying and more likely than not to put off rather than encourage you. Some timbers are difficult to season without staining - sycamore and holly being two, and some are difficult to season without their splitting - cherry, damson and some other fruit woods. You can of course part turn green and then season. You really need to get some reference books if you visit Amazon, Waterstones Marketplace etc. you can pick decent books up quite cheaply. If you're actually felling, winter's the time - the sap is down. Ultimately suck it and see - If you cut it up and it looks to have interesting grain or colour, paint the end grain with something - candle wax, old paint, PVA, whatever comes to hand - and store it. Don't be put off by bits of rot, bark inclusions and cracks - turnery from perfect wood is often boring.

phil.p":3sj0wtwl said:
That's not strictly correct - I've seen some stunning turnery from Leylandii, Macrocarpa, Chile pine and even larch. .

from beginners? :)

If it's any help, here's a list for local timbers and their general uses, link below.
If you Google the wood or tree, or get a book you'll soon recognise each one used in the workshop.
Apple is nice, not always easier to find, The softwoods are more difficult to use
Yew is considered a softwood, in the list, lovely wood when turned, but as I say can be very toxic,
You would need to think of turnery and the dust created anyway, but Yew can make you quite ill.
Regards Rodders

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/nf-awood ... r-uses.pdf

phil.p":3r5y8udb said:
I read somewhere that it could kill you if you ate more than three and a half ounces of dust. :)

I'd guess and say inhaling the dust would be worse, 3 1/2 ounces of dust, how many spoonfuls is that?
Rodders

phil.p":n9hqo5h4 said:
How often do you see something stunning from beginners in any wood?

every time I turn, Phil, every time I turn. (hammer) :mrgreen: (hammer) :mrgreen:

Laburnum is also toxic, apparently. I don't have any first hand accounts but I keep a mask on and don't let my dog in the shed when I'm turning it.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Back