Suggestions for choice of wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7sheds

Reaction score
I'm about to start on a 4-poster for myself having made 5 previous ones for other people over the years. Mostly I have used hardwoods but as my bedroom has a lot of pine - floor, windowsills, built-in wardrobes etc - I thought a softwood would be a better fit. I'm not keen to use knotty pine from the local builder's merchants and would prefer something with a straighter grain. Any suggestions?

PAC1":1yqb4uds said:
Douglas fir

I have a stack of that (earmarked for kitchen cabinets) but it has a distinctly red colour compared to pine; don't know if that's always the case.

I would have thought that if you are looking for the traditional finish then softwood from you're local builders merchants is the way to go.
Larch, and Douglas fir will be too "pink" to match you're previous softwood projects, as you say.
Assuming the upright will be ex. 3" x 3", You ought to be able to pick over the stock and find enough clearer stuff to use.
Regards Rodders

If the posts are turned I'd be dubious about using most softwoods. The early wood/late wood grain can look really garish in the coves and beads of turned work. It's personal choice I know, but I think it looks a bit 1970's and not in a good way!

If the objective is to keep material prices down then something like Alder is pretty much the same price as softwood. If you've got a striking design, especially with turned work, there's a lot to be said for a blander timber like Alder to avoid it all clashing, decide if it's chiefly about the design or chiefly about the timber, then choose your wood accordingly.

Good luck!

custard":mevjg1ft said:
If the objective is to keep material prices down...

The main reason for building another bed is because I have just spent a ludicrous amount on a new mattress and felt the need of a bedstead worthy of it. I'd be happy for instance to use ash but over time it won't yellow the way the rest of the woodwork in the room has.

My favourite is Elm but I've just shipped the last of my stock to Australia as a bed for my daughter.

Back