strip light

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I want to put a 2 strip lights in my shed, but as I wont be installing proper electric in there, I was wondering if I can put a plug on them and simply plug it into an extension lead when I am in there ?

I was looking round for a wiring diagram of how to link them up, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know of a guide online, and where I can get them cheapest ?

Cheers.

I cant help you with wiring, but my garage has the strip lights wired in to a normal light switch. I also do not have permanent power, so an extention lead attaches to an outside socket on the house. This is insulated against water etc, and the expension lead appears to be armoured cable. I assume that this is a master circuit somehow with lights and sockets on, although there is no consumer box in there. I would therefore conclude that what you propose must be possible, even though I have given up trying to understand electricity!

this brings back to my first workshop.

yes you can wire up strip lights to 13A plugs. to daisy chain them, go to the block where all three wires are, strip your cables and then bind your lighting cable from the first light to the 2nd ensuring that both the original light and the extra are still wired in the block together.

ensure the light case is earthed. so 3 core cable is needed otherwise with no earth you're asking for trouble if you strike something.

lew

I've just had a total pineapple fart sorry lol.

what I mean is. to wire up your first light to cable, wire up your plug to a 3 core cable, wire your cable into the fitting. ensureing, live, earth and neutral are in place. you can either blend the cable of the other light to the cable output to fitting 1 or you can blend to the other side of the 3 wire block so that both fitting 1 and 2 are wired together. either way works fine as long as the current travels.. fit a 13A fuse in as starters generate a bit of clout initially.

lew

I HAVE to reply to this, as I think you need some advise from a QUALIFIED electrician.

Starting at the 3 pin plug... wire to Live, Neutral AND Earth .

1st light fitting... Connect to Live, Neutral AND Earth. Obvious.

Now use another 3 core cable to connect from 1st light fitting to 2nd light fitting, ensuring you connect Live to Live, Neutral to Neutral, and Earth to Earth.

Without knowing the sizes (Wattage) of your florry's, this advise now becomes 'Rule Of Thumb'.......

Make sure the 3 core cable is minimum 0.75mm.

Add the Watt's stated on the tubes... IE... 100W + 100W = 200W Total.

Total X 1.8 (to allow for control gear)... IE... 200 X 1.8 = 360W

Divide by mains voltage (to calculate Current)... IE... 360W / 230V = 1.56A.

Use the closest (but higher) rated fuse in the plug. In this case a 3 Amp fuse. DO NOT use a 13 A fuse as the cable would then be the weakest link!

Try to ensure that the extension lead is plugged into a socket in the house that is protected by an RCD.

Good luck.

HTH

Roy

Latest posts

Back