Strange Results On Ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The same is generally true here - if the street address is your address but the name is someone else, you'll still get the mail. The postal guy will also give you the mail at the end of your sidewalk because that's probably their legal obligation - there's not much you can do to sue them as far as I know, unless they don't follow their own regulations. Not that I'd ever do that - it's a little more of an old school thing. If you're in the driveway and you say you live there, they'll take your word for it. Or hand you stuff and expect you'll say "oh, I don't live here".
I thought that it had been established (I think in 1947) that the American Postal Service (part of the U.S. government) delivered to the person and not necessarily the address.
It was in a well known court case of that time, that mail was delivered to the court as a Mr K Kringle was there. It should really have gone somewhere further North but due to Kris being in court at the time the Post people delivered it onto the judges bench...... Or should'nt I believe all I see on TV???!!

I thought that it had been established (I think in 1947) that the American Postal Service (part of the U.S. government) delivered to the person and not necessarily the address.
It was in a well known court case of that time, that mail was delivered to the court as a Mr K Kringle was there. It should really have gone somewhere further North but due to Kris being in court at the time the Post people delivered it onto the judges bench...... Or should'nt I believe all I see on TV???!!

it could be, but I don't know how it's implemented. We often get mail for prior residents, and I'm sure that some of the postal carriers know that in their routes. for example, the end of the year is coming and I will receive two different life insurance info letters for someone two residents ago. They haven't been at my address since 1999. I used to write return to sender on the envelopes - they must be policy updates or something (i don't open them and never have). That hasn't helped, so now I just throw them away.

I would guess the dynamic in the court case had more to do with the value of the mail and someone claiming that because something valuable was mailed to their address but not their name, it was their property, anyway.

The postal employees are generally professional in my area, but they do operate a little differently than fake happy/friendly private company workers do (I like that). If one questioned what they were doing, they'd probably just say "OK, call the postmaster", and in my zip code, the postmaster doesn't really tolerate whining over things that didn't actually cause a loss.

I guess the point is, can this man not just go down to the hardware store and buy utility knife blades in the first place?

the postman will just hand me stuff when I'm standing at the front of my driveway. sometimes I think "how do they know that i'm the homeowner here and not just someone standing around or someone visiting for a chat" (postman is rotating person here, so I don't always recognize them). Same with parcel.

You're not in the UK.

Here, under the Criminal Justice Act (1988) Section 141A and the Offensive Weapons Act (2019) Part 3 which amended it, the sale of knives, razor blades, scalpels etc. to under 18s is strictly forbidden. If you are under 18, you cannot, legally, buy these things - to sell them to an under 18 is a criminal, not civil, offence. The OWA, in section 141B, added explicit requirements for postal delivery of such items, specifically that the item must only be handed to someone over the age of 18 and that all reasonable efforts to ensure this must be taken.

As it's a CRIMINAL offence to sell these things to an under age individual, proof of ID should always be required by the seller before handing such items over and by implication, the same applies to deliveries where the item being handed over is known to fall under the above legislation.

Last edited:
same with 18650 lithium batteries- Ebay seems to have stopped listing them altogether- but sells them in plastic housings called 'cordless batteries' for drills etc etc
But try and buy them separately, and Ebay says no....
Between that and the number of dodgy sellers on there these days, I rarely make it my first stop to buy stuff, had a lot better experience on Alibaba

(last thing I bought off ebay was literally the first time I had bought there in months, and surprise, surprise- got the runaround...)
I mean when they are selling a 'USB keyboard/mouse combo' and it has a picture of a mouse sitting on a keyboard- you really kinda expect to get a keyboard AND a mouse....
Nope- just a keyboard....
After contacting seller, ebay mediation etc etc for over a month, I got a 'partial refund' which has (lol) mysteriously not appeared yet (hey its only been two, nearly three months)
It's my 'last resort' these days...
:-(
High Fire risk on those batteries as many coming from Choogie land where they strip old laptop battery units out and grade cells in 45 gallon drums and sell off in grades to? or do themselves rewrapped and sold many unprotected cells which explode when left charging as no OFF button on cells like protected cells.
Far better off getting Samsung/Panasonic etc from sellers here know what your getting then.
There is Torchy the Battery boy on eBay said a good seller.

You're not in the UK.

Here, under the Criminal Justice Act (1988) Section 141A and the Offensive Weapons Act (2019) Part 3 which amended it, the sale of knives, razor blades, scalpels etc. to under 18s is strictly forbidden. If you are under 18, you cannot, legally, buy these things - to sell them to an under 18 is a criminal, not civil, offence. The OWA, in section 141B, added explicit requirements for postal delivery of such items, specifically that the item must only be handed to someone over the age of 18 and that all reasonable efforts to ensure this must be taken.

As it's a CRIMINAL offence to sell these things to an under age individual, proof of ID should always be required by the seller before handing such items over and by implication, the same applies to deliveries where the item being handed over is known to fall under the above legislation.

I'd have guessed an exemption for short impractical things like utility knife blades. I get that they have been used in crimes, but they're not a stabbing tool.

What does this all imply about people under 18 working in environments where they would use edged tools, or having something like a utility knife as property as kids may do (especially kids of tradies with their own small set of tools, or kids of farmers, etc)?

We obviously have similar rules for firearms, but last time I checked, it's 18 for long guns and 21 for hand guns. there are fewer people opening boxes with handguns, though, so the argument of jobsite utility or usefulness in general is a *little* narrower.

Extending this to the guns, though - if you are a straw purchaser in the US outside of the law, you can get into some serious trouble. What happens if you're at home and the mail person hands you utility knife blades and you hand them right to your kid, or if you're buying them in a store and you do the same thing?

I think one can see how 'nanny state' thinking shapes this kind of legislation, I personally use a lot of scalpel blades - I do electronics as well as woodwork, and these once ordered are a signed-for-only delivery, and for sure could kill a person quite easily if you know anatomy well, but lets face it you'd need to be up-close-and-personal to do the deed so it's hardly an attackers weapon of choice in normal circumstances.....

Back