Stopping paint skinning over in the tin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy

Established Member
Reaction score
If you too are fed up with paint and varnish (oil bound) skinning over and spoiling in the tin try this, as you close the lid give it a quick squirt of Butane gas from a gas lighter refiller use this to exclude/replace the air in the top of the tin, but please please don't smoke at the same time!!!!!!!

I tried turning upside down but when you open it again the paint runs all over the floor! or you turn it the right way up and the skin breaks and gets very messy.

A disc of greaseproof paper cut to a circle and laid on top of the paint stops it skinning. Or a dash of linseed oil which can then be mixed in when you want the paint again :)

Put the lid properly back on, turn it over, then store normally.
Turning the paint over effectively 'seals' the lid properly from the inside. It's worked for me for thirty years.

upside down tin for me too. My wife prevented custard from skinning by covering the surface with cling film. I suspect this will work with paint too,

Having just looked at the contents of some of the drawers in my workshop I have decided to develop a new system for this. In future I shall securely fasten the lid in place( probably with a lump hammer ), then turn the tin upside down ( not forgetting to give it a really good shake ) then store it in the dustbin.

Grahamshed":xl4j6j88 said:
Having just looked at the contents of some of the drawers in my workshop I have decided to develop a new system for this. In future I shall securely fasten the lid in place( probably with a lump hammer ), then turn the tin upside down ( not forgetting to give it a really good shake ) then store it in the dustbin.

:lol: Been hoarding much then Graham? :lol:

mseries":185s0iwr said:
upside down tin for me too. My wife prevented custard from skinning by covering the surface with cling film. I suspect this will work with paint too,

But the custard skin is the best bit!

MMUK":23a45xf0 said:
Grahamshed":23a45xf0 said:

:lol: Been hoarding much then Graham? :lol:
I found a tin of paint I used to paint a cupboard in the kitchen. Hang on to that I thought, bound to get scuffed.
That was two houses ago.

Grahamshed":28ecmpl4 said:

Please dispose of paint in an environmentally friendly manner.

mseries":2ozsxivc said:
Please dispose of paint in an environmentally friendly manner.

Been wondering about that. We've had quite a few empty placcy tins of paint, I've just been washing them out and recycling the tins. It's all water based paint. Is that ok? If not, what to do with it? Local tip?

If it's water based it's fine. nothing the water treatment works can't handle. If it's oil based then you should take it to the recycling depot.

MMUK":3ekywuit said:
If it's water based it's fine. nothing the water treatment works can't handle. If it's oil based then you should take it to the recycling depot.

Yeah, that should be fine. Another top tip, if you've got a fridge or mattress you no longer need just leave it in a lay-by or hedgreow.

KevM":3qv2m1vv said:
MMUK":3qv2m1vv said:

Yeah, that should be fine. Another top tip, if you've got a fridge or mattress you no longer need just leave it in a lay-by or hedgreow.

Good to know. I always wondered what lay-bys were for. ;)

take lid off

set alight :oops:

keep workshop warm :D

warning don't try this at home

I guess this will get removed :roll:

Steve

KevM":h37mfrqg said:
MMUK":h37mfrqg said:

Sarcasm doesn't suit you Kev :roll:

There's nothing toxic in water based paints and it is perfectly safe to flush it. I've worked at WWT works and paint is the least of the worries compared to some of the stuff that ends up in the sewerage system!

How many people rinse out brushes under the tap?

MMUK":kwvfl124 said:
KevM":kwvfl124 said:
MMUK":kwvfl124 said:

Sarcasm doesn't suit you Kev :roll:

There's nothing toxic in water based paints and it is perfectly safe to flush it. I've worked at WWT works and paint is the least of the worries compared to some of the stuff that ends up in the sewerage system!

How many people rinse out brushes under the tap?

Dispensing irresponsible advice doesn't suit you MMUK :roll: Of course, if you have relevant qualifications/certification in this field I'd be pleased to hear your response.
Show me one source from a reputable UK paint producer that says it's acceptable to dispose of paint via the drains/sewerage system and I'll retract in full. Rinsing/washing brushes is a tolerated exception because of the substantially lower volumes of material concerned cf. disposal.

Out of interest, in what capacity were you working at Waste Water Treatment plants?

Best practice is reduce, reuse, recycle - and if all that fails dispose of via landfill after drying/using solidifying agents.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about washing out effectively empty paint tins so that the plastic / metal tin can be used again for some other storage or put in the recycling. There might be a thin layer of paint (no more than a few mm at the most) in the bottom of the tin.

I'm not talking about chucking 1/2 a tin down the drain. I'm to tight to do that. If I did have 1/2 tin left over, I'd either freecycle it (it's surprising what people will take for free. Or keep it till I needed it.

Latest posts

Back