startrite 301sb bandsaw question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fronty

Reaction score
hi all,
sometime ago i purchased the above machine new off ebay now i have had sometime to play with it i noticed that the guide blocks are there but it is missing the thruster rod which bring me to my question
i managed to locate a supplier but they mention upper & lower thruster rods i have checked machine over & i can see where the upper rod goes but the lower guide bracket do not have a holder for a thruster rod ,now is it that this model don't have a lower rod or is the bracket wrong :?: also how come the rods are so expensive as they just look like pieces of bar in the picture on the suppliers site :?:
any help will be appreicated

[/b]

Hi

The thrust rods cost quite a bit because they are not just a steel bar, in fact they have a carbide "button" brazed onto a steel rod, which is why they are expensive (although they're no worse on price than a thrust bearing with a "boot" on many saws) - and they do tend to last for many years. In comparison a steel rod on it's own would not last very long at all. If your lower bracket does not have a holder for the thrust rod then it sounds as though something is missing. I've had a couple of 352s and they both had two thrust rods, as did others I've looked at. Care to post a photo?

Scrit

Did you ever get to the bottom of your missing lower thrust rod mount?
Likewise I have just bought a 351SB and that has no lower thrust rod, also the upper one is deeply scored so needs replacing. Did you get new parts and if so was it from machinespares?

Back