Stanley Combination Square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked mine with a good engineer's square and it is perfect. The problem is the thread on the adjusting screw - it's either loose or so tight you struggle to move it. I bought and used mine from desperation, it served its purpose ... but I wouldn't use it by choice.

Yes, you are right :)

I just thought if you are going to Screwfix anyway (which I'm sure a lot of members on here do).

I may be worth taking your engineers square ( these are on display in my local store ) and having a look. For £10 it's okay for a carpentry toolbox, and a lot better than the Silverline alternative.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted but it's my understanding that combination squares are made to be user setup able, if you catch my drift. There are small metal lugs inside the cast body that you file down if the square goes out if true, very easy process, see you tube for the details. They have to be this way as every time you slide then you could wear the body unevenly which will cause it to go out of square. I bought one of these from screw fix for a tenner and 10mins of fettling it was bob on. Much better quality than my old one, that after a year or so of use could no longer be set to square as the internal lug you file down was all gone.

Fitz.

Phil, can I ask what breed and type of square you use at your bench?

Just out of curiosity.

Jonny

I have five or six engineers squares - M&Ws and a Draper, which curiously is the only one (I think) to have the relevant BS No. on it. I paid a quid for it when I saw the number- I didn't notice Draper on the other side til I got it home. :D I'm not sure what the mitre is, Crown, I think, but it's accurate.

Fitzroy":2rjikgff said:
I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted but it's my understanding that combination squares are made to be user setup able, if you catch my drift. There are small metal lugs inside the cast body that you file down if the square goes out if true, very easy process, see you tube for the details. They have to be this way as every time you slide then you could wear the body unevenly which will cause it to go out of square. I bought one of these from screw fix for a tenner and 10mins of fettling it was bob on. Much better quality than my old one, that after a year or so of use could no longer be set to square as the internal lug you file down was all gone.

Fitz.

I might give this a go, thanks for the tip. I've got a Bahco 6" which is true to my M&W engineer's square, but my Bahco 12" is a bit out.

custard":22et4bgs said:
oakmitre":22et4bgs said:
I have checked it with an engineers square and it is almost spot on.

Which makes it almost worth buying.

Haha my thoughts as well. Not many uses for an angle close to 90 degrees.

Interesting about be able to adjust some models but not an option on my old M&W combi but not needed either but have a cheapo that hopefully I have not ditched and might be able to correct.

Back