Stanley 78 rebate plane thread size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickDReed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope someone might be able to assist.

I've got my Grandads Stanley 78 and have just aquired a replacement fence that was missing. I still however need to replace the screw to lock the fence down. I'm open to drilling out the hole and re tapping the hole to fit a metric thumb screw, but thought I'd see if anyone here knows the actual thread size I should be looking for to replace without re tapping?

I've got my Grandads Stanley 78 and have just aquired a replacement fence that was missing. I still however need to replace the screw to lock the fence down. I'm open to drilling out the hole and re tapping the hole to fit a metric thumb screw, but thought I'd see if anyone here knows the actual thread size I should be looking for to replace without re tapping?
I’ll have a look at mine ( probably be tomorrow tbh ) but they come up on eBay in all forms so you could get a spares or repair for a few quid..

They're available on EBay basically all the time. More than ten are available at the link, with 81 already sold. Parts for Stanley planes are ubiquitous. There would rarely ever be a need to drill, tap, or alter. Thankfully, you don't also have to be a machinist to do woodworking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2037337814...28ByPq9L2QsCvVE6CVD+imJw==|tkp:Bk9SR9Snla-kYg

Last edited:
I think it is a Whit or an UNC.

Stanley were still using imperial up to the early 2000's.

We always save the screws when we scrap old tools.

For what it's worth, I reached out to a colleague or two, and we found a print for the fence that was an M5 thread, dated Dec77. The fence casting has Made In England embossed on it. But I don't know if this was just a redrawing because of a transfer of manufacturing location, or if it was specific to metrification. I also don't know if pre-metric castings also had Made in England embossed on them as well.

Back