Standard Lamp Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack9110000

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked by a friend if I can repair a standard lamp.The lamp is in 3 sections and has been turned & carved from teak,maybe Burmese.The problem is,the carved thread from the middle section into the threaded hole in the base was broken off recently.My question is,can anyone recommend a glue which will be strong enough to hold where the break has occurred?The base is 12¾" dia with an 1" threaded hole,the broken threaded piece is 1½"long with a ¼"hole through the centre,this piece has been broken off the middle section,which steps up from 1" thread to 1¾ dia turned ball with centre hole.I hope this explanation is enough.Anyone help?

A good two part epoxy resin should do the trick, but I would suggest re-enforcing the joint with some dowels. If there is not much material to drill into for wooden diameter dowels then you could use large diameter piano wire cut to length.

Alan

A method I have used in the past is to pass a metal tube up the central cable hole with the cable inside, thread the top to receive the lampholder.
(thread is usually 1/2" BSB (british stand brass) thread which is 26 tpi) and fit a nut in the base to hold all parts together in tension.

I have the taps and dies for these threads if you want to borrow them or I can tell you where to buy them.

HTH

Bob

Thank you both Woody & 9 Fingers for your replies.I used the 2 part epoxy and dowel method and it has worked out very well.

Back