Squashed vac hose

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
I managed to squash my midi vac hose today not sure if it was squashed by an mdf panel or my electric fan heater got to it or a mixture of both but below is how I found it. Anyone know if it can be fixed easily its about 1 metre into the hose so I dont want to cut out that section there wont be any left. I wondered if it can be reshaped with heat or something

4315800345_6f66377da3.jpg
4316534178_a66b0e50e5.jpg

If you can reach far enough down inside you may well be able to re shape it.

Roy.

Digit":3anoy2c0 said:
If you can reach far enough down inside you may well be able to re shape it.

Roy.

Sounds practical.

My thoughts: Can you find a length of dowel of roughly the same inside diameter or (better) slightly smaller? You probably need a straight length about 6ft long, and to round over or bevel one end. You might get away with 28mm coppertube, if you have some (but one end will need to be fairly smooth on the outside)...

... take the fittings off the vac pipe (one end may be sufficient), warm it with a paint-stripper (gently!) where it's damaged, then force it all down over the dowel and let it cool off A suitable clamp at each end would keep it concertina-ed up to minimum length (what you want). Oughta work.

If you haven't got a paint stripper, arrange the damaged part to be the lowest point in a "U" and pour boiling water in. You still need to be able to concertina it though, otherwise it will un-stretch permanently.

None of the above applies if it has a wire spring fitted. If it does, you'll probably have to replace it.

Just my twopence.

If all else fails cut and join would probably be the best move.

Roy.

Hey Chippy

It's always the expensive A/S ones that get damaged isn't it? Took a slice out of one of mine with a floor sander and used heat-shrink tubing to seal it up; worked pretty well, so if Eric TVs method doesn't work out, cut & join is perfectly do-able.

HTH, Pete

It's just an idea but if you get a stong balloon...put it on an air hose...pass it down uninflated then heat the hose to soften it with a hairdryer...then blow up the balloon.

Bit wacky but it may work...

:D

Jim

jimi43":3sz176qa said:
It's just an idea but if you get a stong balloon...put it on an air hose...pass it down uninflated then heat the hose to soften it with a hairdryer...then blow up the balloon.

Jim

Bicycle inner tube maybe.

jimi43":vcggfgig said:

Jim

a career in heart surgery awaits :lol: :lol:

If you know a plumber who has one of these,

pipetester.gif

you might block up one end and then pump water in and force the wall back out.

Lee.

Russell":26cqke21 said:
Whats so special about that hose that it costs £70.00

Its made by Festool :D its anti static, very light, its 3.5m long and very flexible.

Anyway cheers lads for all the advice, I tried to sort it today by putting a paint roller extension pole into the hose then rolling it on the bench while heating it up and it is much better now. It still feels like it may kink there in the future but its ok for now, its hard trying to re shape the corrugations.

You'll not get that back in shape as it'll have a wire spring or plastic spring in it.
I've just replace mine bought 4 metres of hose put the end fittings from my old pipe on it and it cost £15...

chippy1970":2xpd3c2z said:
cheers guys i will give it a go....otherwise its £70 for a new hose :(

If you go into the Axminster website and look under the 1010 EBQ Plus Router you will see that 3.5 meters of 27 mm hose is just below £50.00, as their hoses are all standard this should do.

Waka":y1cgp50y said:
chippy1970":y1cgp50y said:
cheers guys i will give it a go....otherwise its £70 for a new hose :(

If you go into the Axminster website and look under the 1010 EBQ Plus Router you will see that 3.5 meters of 27 mm hose is just below £50.00, as their hoses are all standard this should do.

Is that the anti static stuff Waka ?

My repair seems ok to be honest but if I have to change it in the future thanks for the info.

Also managed to chew up my 2700 rail this week, had a kick back with my TS55. The rail still works ok but it looks rubbish. That will teach me to rush and not support the sheet properly :oops:

EDIT: I just checked thats the NON Anti-static cheaper hose thats why its only £49

Should have looked at the hose in m ore detail, damed expensive I know but well worth it.

I've done that to my saw guide rails in the past, your right it does look ugly, but still functional.

Yep Im a bit of a tart with my tools I usually look after them well and hate it when they get damaged but at least it still does its job and I didnt lose any fingers :lol:

Back